scenic trips from New York City

mp55aec

Were taking a break in New York next week for 5 days, I was told a couple of years ago that there's a pretty scenic line along the Hudson river for a trip, I can't remember where I was recomended to get off (small town) have lunch look about and return, anyone done this or can recommend a destination? Don't mind taking a 2 hour trip from the city be it along the Hudson or any other scenic trip.

Hudson line trains north out of Grand Central Terminal will be on commuter trains; Amtrak trains to Albany up the Hudson leave out of Penn Station.  I imagine they suggested Poughkeepsie to visit?  It's the site of the old New Haven's bridge across the river, now a walking bridge.

Grand Central is worth visiting in and of itself - it's a restored Beaux Arts jewel.  Penn Station, on the other hand, is dismal...go there only if you're taking a train.  You cannot see the trains from inside Penn Station; you can get glimpses at Grand Central.

Another suggestion is to take a PATH train from 33rd St on 6th Avenue under the Hudson over to Hoboken NJ and walk around; great views of lower Manhattan are to be had from Hoboken plus it also has a wonderful ex Delaware Lackawanna & Western station.  If you're railfanning you can take PATH out to Harrison and watch Amtrak and NJ Transit trains from the Harrison platforms.  Not scenic but decent action to be seen.

I've seen an Amtrak train on the southern end while doing a circle line boat tour, we passed through the swing bridge which then closed for the train, it does look like a good scenic route even from that tiny stretch. I'd also recommend the Circle Line, it's a good way to see some of the major landmarks and from a rail perspective you see the riverfront terminals that remain as well as the viaduct on the eastern side (I think it's Ward Island).

Chris H

Take a train from Penn Station to New Haven CT. From the Bronx to coastal Connecticut taking in the Hell Gate Bridge. http://www.visitnewhaven.com/visitorinfo/transportation

Or take a commuter out to Belmar on the Jersey Shore. http://www.njbelmar.com/belmar-train-schedule.shtml

Where Bruce and the E Street Band rehearsed. "10 Avenue Freezeout" refers to 10 Avenue, Belmar - apparently NOT Manhattan...

Best, Pete.

Hudson line trains north out of Grand Central Terminal will be on commuter trains; Amtrak trains to Albany up the Hudson leave out of Penn Station.  I imagine they suggested Poughkeepsie to visit?  It's the site of the old New Haven's bridge across the river, now a walking bridge.

Yes, the trip up to Poughkeepsie is worth it, and the short walk up to the bridge too.

Did it a couple of years ago, although it was Fall (Autumn) then.

• RMweb Premium

We took the commuter line to Poughkeepsie a couple of years ago.

We came right back; didn't look around.  It wasn't the same train that came back and we had to scurry to get on the one that did.

Sit on the left side going north as that's where the river is and the sun will be behind you in the morning.

The line to Poughkeepsie is a great trip for a commuter run - one can see West Point on this trip. Also Beacon is a good place to stop as its the base for the Beacon sloop Club http://www.beaconsloop.org/ The Hudson River Sloops were a type of boat that operated on the Hudson and at Beacon is based the "Woody Guthrie" and trips are available on it, the sailing season starts soon, not sure when.

There used to be a dinner train that ran out of Grand Central Terminal. Metro North also goes to Bear Mountain State Park which has a zoo, hiking trails, a lodge with a nice restaurant, and great shots of nature AND rail traffic on both sides of the Hudson River from the Bear Mountain Bridge.

Hi all, just got back,, didnt manage to do any train rides other than the MTA subway, I did get the wife to do the audio tour of Grand Central that was interesting and did manage a walk down to see the loco on the said Poughkeepsie service after all it was her birthday!

We were staying at the old PRR Hotel Pennsylvania nice but could do with a refurb, i only had a Model Rail Roader as a shop guide (Manhattan only i know trainworld is Brooklyn) and took a look around Red Caboose,,,would have spent some $ there but the shop was totally stock top to bottom non scale or maker order,,you had N scale mixed with corgi buses and HO brass with Model power,,,then yesterday found a yellow pages in the wardrobe and found eventually Gotham Trains, pleased to say Batman wasnt behind the counter and purchased a couple of freight cars, next time November we will take our trip but to Cold Spring the stop before Poughkeepsie as a model train store there :)

• RMweb Premium

Try Trainworld. They're right below an elevated station and the line goes into Manhattan.  Did you see the transit museum in GCT?

We didn't do the museum but they have a decent shop in Grand Central.

I don't remember seeing any Athearn in the Gotham Trains shop, lots of reasonably prices brass, will do trainworld next time.

Also visited FAO Schwartz not a single railway item for sale!

FAO Schwartz is for the out of the ordinary, newer, high end toys. Did you get to see the arched vault deigned by Rafael Guastavino in front of the Oyster Bar at Grand Central Terminal? If you stand in one corner of the vault and have someone stand in the diagonal corner, whisper something to them and they will hear the message as if you were standing next to them.

Red Caboose....we used to call it the Rude Caboose :)

I agree a little, I walked in with the idea of walking out with an N scale CSX loco but as ive never seen such a mish mash, (a German retailer would have heart failure if he walked in!) all I purchased was an HO classic metal greyhound bus,,the stock is also covered in total dust in or out the cabinet and the guy behind the counter didn't come off a loud personal phone call the full ten min I was there not even when i paid for the bus,,took the money gave me change not a single word or even a bag!!

Must read just found this---http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/red-caboose-new-york

Phew thank god im not the only one!

Trainworld next time!

The reference to "Soup Nazi" from the Seinfield TV show  is apt..........

Some incredible deals at TrainWorld right now. I tend to "mail order" from there because shipments to New Jersey are sales tax free. If I go to the store to buy then I'd have to pay the New York sales tax. Daft, really.

Best, Pete.

Archived