Poorly performing Farish Poole-built 5 pole motors

Gremlin

So...on 94xx class, have completely stripped the motor down to the armature, replaced the carbon brushes, cleaned everything in Isopropyl alcohol, lightly oiled the correct bits and retested.  Motor spins perfectly but, when attached to the wheels/drive gear, it only moves very slowly, even at full power.  Can't seem to find any fault on the worm gear or the drive cog...doesn't seem to be split and the rate of motor spin is independent of whether the mechanism is screwed on or held on....looking for some additional ideas?  Also, can't find anyone selling replacement magnets, the one in the motor seems OK, still very strong magnetic pull by just feeling it.

BoB class...when running slowly, motor seems to "chug", can't maintain an even rotation speed; when running it quickly it is fine.  Have disassembled and reassembled the unit but can't find any binding...suggestions?

Do you have any other N gauge locos that run well on the same track with the same controller? I'm not an expert by any means but could the controller be contributing to the running problems? If it is an older controller designed for 00 gauge locos it might not be suitable for n gauge. Some controllers have full and half wave settings one of which is not suitable for N gauge, I can't remember which.

Also all the cleaning and assembling and reassembling can cause short circuits, this I have found from experience.

I assume your track is ok.

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious but it could be the locos, the track or the controller.

About another 20 locos, Minitrix, Dapol, Farish and Peco....from early 1980s through to last year (non DCC) and all work fine.

Have tested on both rolling road and track...decided to trash the mechanisms as I can't find spares in Australia or the components I need online.  Have checked BRlines and Peter's Spares but can't seem to find the following:

1. Replacement magnets
  2. Armature for BoB, 94xx and Prairie Tank
  3. New axle/drive gear for all of the above.

For #1, emailed NeoMagnets but the email bounced :(

If all else fails, add a preserved railway section to your layout and park the non runners in a siding awaiting restoration. I have some very old non running Farish pannier tanks that have been made to look rusty and do just that.

1. Replacement magnets
  2. Armature for BoB, 94xx and Prairie Tank
  3. New axle/drive gear for all of the above.

BR Lines have both 1 and 2 (email them, they don't list everything they have online). 3 seems unlikely to be necessary.....

Cheers,

Alan

Dr Al, I will email them, thanks!  #3 is required because, having inspected under magnification, the drive gear is worn on the Prairie and 94xx and the BoB has brass filings under the rolling road...not a good sign :(

Dr Al, I will email them, thanks!  #3 is required because, having inspected under magnification, the drive gear is worn on the Prairie and 94xx and the BoB has brass filings under the rolling road...not a good sign :(

Just buy replacement 25 tooth gears and a worm puller. This tool will allow you to remove a wheel and replace the gear on each of the existing axles.

Cheers,

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived