Surface mount point motors

idris

I have a pile of these old point motors, all of which seem to work well enough.

gallery_21888_3120_25650.jpg

But I'm looking at replacing all my points with new ones and all the new Peco, Hornby and Bachmann points I've seen are designed for actuators that operate perpendicular to the the track, whereas the ones I have operate parallel to it.

Is there any technical reason why I can't use these point motors and just mount them at 90o to the track? (Obviously it'll effectively reduce the cost of replacing the points by up to 50% if I can.)

Possibly the deal breaker would be "is the motor strong enough to throw a modern point with an over-centre spring?"

These motors can sell quite well, as they fit Tri-ang Railways Super 4 and the earlier Hornby System 6 points, they are in demand from collectors and those setting up "vintage" layouts.

Tri-ang Railways reference X.404 Point Motor.  The number got changed later in Hornby days.

So, it may be possible to cash these in towards newer stuff?

The motor pictured is a Triang X404. These are plastic but I also have some similar motors with metal bodies.

The throw seems to be about 1/2" so I think that should be plenty?

Use them in conjunction with a model aircraft/car L arm, most of which have a number of holes so that the throw can be adjusted.

Can you elaborate? What are L arms? (I can picture what they might look like, but ...) Can you buy them separately or do you need to scavenge them from other toys?

The metal cased motors sound intersting, as Tri-ang didn't have metal cases....

The L arm is a plastic crank. "L" Shaped, with the pivot in the angle of the "L". They have a series of holes in each arm, enabling the connection of two items and varying the "throw" using the different holes.

Basically the same thing is mounted on a Servo Motor, sometimes called the Servo Horn.

By the way, I like the Dragon picture from Ivor The Engine.

Cymru am Byth.

Diolch.

I envisaged something like servo horns, but smaller. Something that wouldn't look out of place to a OO scale signalman. It's a long time since I've played around with RC servos but I can't find anything that small online.

Archived