Manchester Victoria/Exchange - 1950/60s

Hello all

I have been collecting information about Manchester Victoria/Exchange stations over the last few months ??“ I have a good collection of photos, plus a few books. However this isn??™t enough, as there are a few gaps in my knowledge and I was wondering if anyone has access to or help me find a track plan of the two stations between the 1950s and 1960s.

Thank you.

James

There was an article in one of those annuals that used to appear every Christmas, but I am am talking a long time ago, circa 1964. Trains Illustrated, Railway World, something like that. I recall it definitely had a full track plan in it. (By the way, you would need an awful lot of points.)

I still have that book somewhere, but I really am not sure where. Maybe someone else can provide the full reference.

Failing that, the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Society might be a good bet. I'm pretty sure they have published a book on Victoria, but whether it has the desired track plan I couldn't say.

There was a more recent article, in British Railways Illustrated I think, which had a track plan. I'll have a look at the weekend and see if I can find the issue details. I'm sure somewhere I have a track plan in one publication or another.

Arthur

I have found the manuscript and photo captions dated 2002 for an article of mine published in one of the monthlies, maybe 'Rail Express'; but I cannot locate the trackplan I prepared of Man Vic. It did not include Man Exchange though. In fact the drawing might not have been sent with the article. Sorry to be a bit vague.

Larry G.

Thank you for the feedback you have given me.

Just another thing, I think that they should have kept the two stations as they were for two very good reasons. One being that it is just one big piece of concrete and looks a mess. And two, I was only born when they sent in the builders in the early Nineties and I would have loved to have seen it with my own eyes instead of through the means of media.

James

Hey,

Not sure if you've taken a look at this yet, but there is a book called British Railways Layout Plands of the 1950s - Volume 5: ex-Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Lines in West Lancashire.

Long title!!

It covers from Southport/Liverpool Exchange to Manchester Victoria West Junction so it could have some of the information you're looking for. Shows signals too, which is handy.

Obviously it's not to scale, but it's a useful reference point!

It's in signal box order, so in the Manchester/Salford City Centre section, goes Windsor Bridge No2 > Hope Street (Goods Only) > Windsor Bridge No1 > Salford > Deal Street > Manchester Victoria West Junction.

Hope this helps. If you're building a layout with that plan, I take my hat off to you sir! Most complex!

Ben

Thank you Ben. That title needs a bit of work on it I think. Ideally I would like a to scale plan, but at this stage it doesn't real matter too much.

It is more of a dream layout to be honest but hopefully one day it shall be(if all goes to plan of course!).

Woodenhead - I believe you, don't worry about that. I wish they could have had put a bit more effort into it and made something that is pleasant to be in, instead of something you just go to because you need to go there.

James

I don't know if you have seen this, but on this site http://www.ekeving.se/ext/uk/VicEx_Manchester/index.html?bcsi_scan_538D2B4A92AB07CF=0&bcsi_scan_filename=index.html there is a detailed article on the 1929 resignalling of the Manchester stations with plenty of photos, and, right at the bottom, there are two links to the signalling diagrams for the two stations - not to exact scale but all the pointwork is there in detail - should keep you busy for a while. I also remember the article in, as I recall, Trains Illustrated Annual for 1964 or 65, but it is submerged somewhere in the loft with lots of other books and magazines, and unlikely to surface for a month or so, due to modelling commitments.

James,

Not yet found the magazine article but, for what they're worth, I have found the following:

The LMS & LNER in Manchester ? R.E Rose ?  ? Ian Allan ? 1987 ?  ? undated plan of both stations

Rail Centres: Manchester ?  ?  Stanley Hall?  ? Ian Allan ?  1995 ?  full signaling plan of Exchange & West Victoria ? circa 1930

Liverpool & Manchester:?  LNWR Lines ?  Bob Pixton ? Kestrel 2006 ? undated plan of Exchange

Liverpool & Manchester: ? L & Y Lines ?  ?  ?  Bob Pixton ?  Kestrel ? 2008 ? 1928 plan of Victoria

I'll try and find the magazine article.

Arthur

Hello all

I have been collecting information about Manchester Victoria/Exchange stations over the last few months ??“ I have a good collection of photos, plus a few books. However this isn??™t enough, as there are a few gaps in my knowledge and I was wondering if anyone has access to or help me find a track plan of the two stations between the 1950s and 1960s.

Thank you.

James

Theres a track plan of Manchester Victoria in railway magazine feb 1969. I can scan it for you?

• 9 years later...
On 25/10/2009 at 18:03, Russell Saxton said:

I cant attach it, is there an email i can send it to? PM me if you want with it.

Would you still be able to send a copy? I have the East Jn. Box diagram and would like to see a good copy of West Jn.