Station articles April Bylines

lmsforever

The April issue of Bylines has some interesting articles about stations,Newbury Park on the Hainault loop in 1938 a station of interest to me as I was born in the adjacent hospital and had my first train ride in 1949 on the Central tube ,I can remember the station as per the article .This article is part of a series Before the tube and has produced some very interesting photos and stories about the era.Also in this issue is the second part article about Aylesbury Town a station I have used since 1961 and is not greatly changed now from the pictures in the article.Some excellent photos of the loco shed which will be of interest to a certain person on this forum who is building a model of said shed.The services in the fifties were amazing Manchester ,Maidenhead ,etc a bit different to the current day ,but looking at the station buildings there is no change with the canopies and platforms the same.Looking back at these stations you realise the heritage that still survives on the network ,such as the platform canopies at Newbury Park still in use today .Long may this excellent magazine continue to keep producing articles such as this.

Yes, I usually avoid buying Bylines because invariably the most interesting articles are split across several issues (e.g. Bagnalls' diesels), or it contains just a couple of very useful photos.  This issue ticked enough boxes for me to warrant buying a copy.

Archived