A different use for a class 47...

There is a photo of the loco at West Thurrock power station in "The Power of the 47s" by Brian Morrison. Unfortunately the loco isn't identified.

According to the caption it was used not to generate power for the National Grid (directly), but to act as stationary exciter for the plant's turbo alternator, whilst the normal exciter underwent repairs. It was engaged at the power station for 4 months from January 1976 before returning to Stratford depot.

I'm guessing that it was removed from it's bogies at stratford before being roaded to the power station,

that'd be a different cameo on a layout!

"And what were you doing on a truck site, you traitor!" Because i've probably built more truck models that railway ones!

Dave

There is a photo of the loco at West Thurrock power station in "The Power of the 47s" by Brian Morrison. Unfortunately the loco isn't identified.

According to the caption it was used not to generate power for the National Grid (directly), but to act as stationary exciter for the plant's turbo alternator, whilst the normal exciter underwent repairs. It was engaged at the power station for 4 months from January 1976 before returning to Stratford depot.

I have a vague memory (most of my memories are vague...) of either a 46 or 47 being used in a similar role at CEGB Willington in the Midlands, in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

The 'generator' nickname applied to the first 20 Class 47 refers to them having ETH generators fitted- the power station work would require them to use the main generator set.

I have a vague memory (most of my memories are vague...) of either a 46 or 47 being used in a similar role at CEGB Willington in the Midlands, in the late 1970s/early 1980s.

The 'generator' nickname applied to the first 20 Class 47 refers to them having ETH generators fitted- the power station work would require them to use the main generator set.

45029 I believe from my also vague memory.

I'm also not to sure that 5029 and 47155 were the only locos temporarily used for this.

EDIT

Just googled it and found the answer on David Hill's excellent Derby Sulzers website.

45029 was withdrawn from service in January 1981, but returned to service a year later to Thorpe Marsh power station, in I believe a similar role to 47155.

http://www.derbysulzers.com/neswroute.html and scroll down to between Chesterfield and Clay Cross

Archived