So how many of you out there have one of these useful models running on your train set?

attachicon.gifGamages.1.A.jpg

A 2-4-0 A4 or a 2-4-0 Brittania - which do you prefer?

As a tinplate fan it has got to be the A4 for me.

It is always useful to have a battery or clockwork loco on hand at live steam exhibitions to cover breaks in steaming, and a regular exhibitor has a Triang Big Big loco for such purpose.

Trevor.

• Like 1

I can remember playing with the Britannia in my youth. Clockwork would have been better, as the U2* batteries lasted a very short time (11d each IIRC). We would warm them up to get a few more laps out of them.

The advert states 1/1d which is even worse and I'm fairly sure was the price for one. (I'll ignore the pedantic point that an individual cell is not a battery which by definition is two or more cells.)

*Now we have adopted the American D rather than U2 for these.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Yes, when I was a lad I remember being told to stick my bike lamp batteries in the oven to keep them going longer.  How does this work?!

Edited by 5050

Heating batteries is not recommended, because of the risk of explosion (messy at best!......).

The effect is the same is the same (in reverse) as trying to start the car on a cold morning with a dodgy battery. Waiting an hour or two for it to warm up will often do the trick.

Eeee, some of them photos bring back memories - and not all of them happy ones!  Lost count of the number of times the front light flew off the bracket on bumps, the batteries that corroded inside the lamp, the rear lights that wouldn't work with bad contacts, the twin-cell batteries that hardly lasted a couple of hours etc. etc. etc.

Good old days?

Ever ready?

Not a chance!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

post-21098-0-29771400-1426631139_thumb.jpg

Another take on coarse scale.  Meccano, how coarse can you get!  But it goes well with the parent companies trains.  Hopefully its recognisable as one of Brunel's famous early viaducts in Cornwall with appropriate Hornby train.

Brian.

• Like 5

This was the model that superseded the giant Block setting crane on the covers of the later manuals.It really worked but was about as portable as a double wardrobe.It took about 3 months to build.

Ray.

• Like 1

Just one more for those who are interested,the set 10 loading shovel with label produced in Photoshop.If any one wants a copy of the Meccano sign,i can probably upload it hhere.

Ray.post-4249-0-75117000-1426720834_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

If I bought a train set with a picture of the Flying Scotsman on the lid and opened it to find am LMS 0-4-0 with some goods wagons inside I would have been a bit disappointed.

The set probably dates from 1948 to 1949 and the clockwork mechanism was of a higher quality than that of the last clockwork engines that Hornby made.

post-17621-0-13096800-1426874300_thumb.jpg

post-17621-0-95399900-1426874338_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Robin. I bought a similar set over here on US E Bay for about $50 although the No.1 Wagon had the large LMS with stamped chassis, probably an early import.  As you mention, a good runner.

Brian.

Seeing your layout photo Brian, with its apparent mix of US and UK models, reminds me that a lad in school in the late 50's had an American book on 'Hi-Rail' modelling.  This appeared to be the use of tinplate track but with added scenery, vehicles, buildings etc. from dime stores and the like.  Is this term still used?  At the time it had an influence on me - even if it was only the realisation that Americans, at times, use the English language in a different way to us!

Seeing your layout photo Brian, with its apparent mix of US and UK models, reminds me that a lad in school in the late 50's had an American book on 'Hi-Rail' modelling.  This appeared to be the use of tinplate track but with added scenery, vehicles, buildings etc. from dime stores and the like.  Is this term still used?  At the time it had an influence on me - even if it was only the realisation that Americans, at times, use the English language in a different way to us!

Ive never heard of it as Hirail modeling but yes, tinplate track with scenery. My grandfather loved doing that.

And Brian, I see your shameless inclusion of that police box.

I was a train spotter (pre Anorak!) back home and have always been interested in trains and models.  When I arrived in the US, it continued with a more American theme settling on Lionel which was alive and well in O gauge hi rail!  But it wasn't Hornby so there had to be compromise in which US and UK trains now exist side by side  This is probably anathema to any purist but after all, these are toy trains.

Brian.

• Like 3

Hi. 

We have just returned from a visit to Australia. While there I spotted a couple of Australian-made O gauge trains from the 1950s, namely a "Maurlyn" loco, tender & carriages and a "Ferris" set modelled on a suburban electric train. After WW2 there was a severe shortage of European model railway items coming into Australia so several local firms stepped in to supply the demand. There is an interesting book called "Spring, Spark & Steam" which details this period, the makers, and their products. 

To this day there is more than one gauge in operation on the full sized railways, but that is another story! 

Cheers,  Trevor.

A quick note to say that I will be exhibiting my O gauge live steam layout on Easter Sat 4th April at the Toy Steam Rally,  Tilford Rural Life Museum, near Farnham, Surrey GU10 2DL.

Trevor.

Hi all,

Glad to see the topics still going.

I filmed the below short over the weekend when I had the layout down. It was a fast and loose attempt to model a farmers train with sausage wagons, a tractor (on original Hornby flat) and a fuel tanker. I've got a LSWR 6 wheel milk wagon albeit it doesn't like tight curves.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ypv0kEKuFfE

I'm currently debating which loco to add to the fleet (so much choice!)

Greg

• Like 1

Hi Brian,

Indeed! It was one of the things that helped me switch from OO to O in that I could set up a larger non-permanent layout whilst space was tight and the 'other half' didn't mind too. Once I've got enough track it will also mean i can change the layout too. That being said, I'll look to build a small permanent layout too once I've got space.

By the way, I've really enjoyed seeing the pics of your layout, please keep posting!

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

post-21098-0-85300900-1429212019_thumb.jpg

post-21098-0-08464600-1429212165_thumb.jpg

One of the joys of tinplate is the ability to add Meccano models to the layout and a reminder of Meccano Magazine pictures of years ago. They may not be the right size but they look the part. The windmill works thanks to an AC motor from an old sign which turns at a realistic speed and the original was featured in a No.3 manual.

Brian.

• Like 7