For something different, the American side of the layout.

post-21098-0-25046000-1430002292.jpg

S.P. Black Widow locos about to enter the tunnel and a S.P Cab Forward  on the bridge above.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Have recently heard that darstaed have stopped production don't have any more info at the moment ,but on a positive note ACE Trains are going to produce a Warship now that it seems darstaed have packed it in !.... 

The situation with Darstaed at the moment is confusing to say the least.  Their demise has been announced on the Ace Trains forum, but they have just announced a new European distributor in Holland.  :scratchhead:

Yes, just had my newsletter from WJ Vintage and there is a statement from the owner of  Darstaed and he  has stated  that the UK distribution side is now closed, but that he is now fulfilling orders from the Netherlands and its business as usual.  hope it doesn't disappear as they make some decent models and they are the company that got me into 3 rail in the first place !....

• 2 weeks later...

post-21098-0-88907900-1433201221.jpg

Lionel Kinlet Hall has a clear road but waits for its driver and fireman who are perhaps at the station café. There is a train signalled on the Down line which might pick up the waiting milk churns

Brian.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen

I found this thread yesterday, and heartened by the fact that RMWeb has a "cell" of classic 0 gaugers, joined up.

Prompted by a friend, I re-entered this realm after a fifty year gap about two years ago, and have disposed of most of the long-time LGB and 16mm/ft stock to fund a layout. Main interest is Bassett Lowke (modern and vintage) and Ace, rather than Hornby.

The Grand Plan is a scenic layout that uses techniques and materials that were used c1935-55, but thus far I haven't progressed beyond track on bare baseboards, because I keep getting distracted into playing trains - I designed-in quite a bit of operating potential, rather in Freezer style.

If things have worked, the attached picture shows a corner of my work in progress, with a combination of BL, Hornby and Ace things in view. Track is Maldon Rail N/S.

Regards, K

post-26817-0-08129800-1439188486_thumb.jpg

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Any tinplate resource is welcome, K.  We few are a happy breed unencumbered by scale, proper colours, number of rivets, etc, amid hundreds of OOers who relish such things.  No doubt most have been the same route as you with other scales and like you, saw the light!

Look forward to more content.

Brian.

I've posted a bit more about my vintage-style layout-under-construction under the heading "A visit to Birlstone" in the Southern Railway zone - it is meant to be a Southern layout (Ok, I know the BL 0-6-0 is in LNER livery!), and I thought it might interest/educate/annoy the fine-scalers who inhabit that part of the forum.

Have a look, if you are interested.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Love the pics guys, keep them coming.  I have also came back over to the coarse scale world in the past couple of weeks.  I have picked up a super clean Bassett Lowke Duke of York, a Bassett Lowke LMS live steam Stainer Mogul and I am waiting on a Lionel GWR Albert Hall class engine that I got from a hobby shop that was breaking up the sets.  Was going to just lay 2 rail track for clockwork and live steam, but decided that my big loop will be 3 rail so I can also run my father's Lionel set from the late '40's.  Thus I bought the Hall class to run on that loop.  I will have a point to point set up for the clockwork engine to work. Here is a couple of pics of my locomotives I have so far.   Mike

DSC07581_zpsusdmkak2.jpg

DSC07579_zpshtmzvlj6.jpg

I did have a slight mishap when reawaking this almost 100 year old live steamer with a bit of a cab fire.  Looking for a source that I might find in the states for LMS Crimson Lake red paint to touch up my scorched cab.  I already resprayed the roof, this time with heat resistant black paint made for auto exhaust systems.   Mike

DSC07583_zpseecqryme.jpg

• Like 1

Artfull

I particularly like the DoY.

How long a run do you find you get out of it?

I have a much later 'Prince Charles', which is in very good condition, but is a bit disappointing in terms of length of run, at about 60ft with three coaches, but I don't really know whether that is good, average, or poor. What I do know is why people stopped by clockwork locos once affordable electric ones came along!

Kevin

Brian

I have three in GWR livery that are looking for a new home - they look very out of place with my tinplate stock.

Barely used, but one or two of the current collectors disintegrated when I secured them up, out of the way, to stop them getting tangled in my pointwork.

Don't know what transatlantic postal charges are like, though.

PM me if you might be interested.

Kevin

They are in the states selling on ebay.  I am watching 2 of the coaches as I would like a couple myself for my Hall to pull.  Was going to stay with a total LMS look on my layout but the Hall was to good of a deal to pass up.  I havent got a chance to run my Duke yet, waiting on a winding key to come in the post, then I will give her a go.  Clockwork layouts were all about operation, setting the stations within the distance that a winding or partial winding could cover.  I am told some of the better engines came with winding charts giving distances to number of turns with a certain load.  I believe the great Crewchester layout was predominatly worked with clockwork locomotives, granted they were the finest available from Bassett Lowke ect.   Rules dictated that you were forbade to remove the engine from the track to wind, winding had to be done at scheduled station stops and was to be done in as discrete a manner as possible.   Mike

Not sure whether I will keep the Hall class, was kind of a impulse buy.  Still building the bench work right now, if I find enough clockwork track, then it might need a new home.  I am always open to trade offers, espicaly of more tinplate LMS stuff, needing coaches for mogul or DoY to pull along with some freight wagons.  I keep looking at some of the nice small tinplate station buildings on ebay as well.  I have a Marx tinplate Girard station with built in whistle.  My wife is from Girard, Pennsylvania and her first job was in the building where the tinplate Marx trains were made, just not for the Marx company.  The old factory got subdivided into many small businesses during the 80's.  Cheers   Mike

Any GWR engine is for keeps! (see below).

I find Vallejo red acrylic* is a good match for LMS crimson. The various paints available here all seem to differ slightly anyway (as would the real thing). Being acrylic, it is easy to restore the model to her original condition if required, as it's soluble in alcohol. (This shouldn't affect the original finish, but I wouldn't exaggerate.)

* Model Color 70.926 (RAL3004 FS30160)

Thanks for the paint suggestion.  I am holding off the urge to buy one of the Lionel Albert Hall sets so that I can get more LMS stuff for my layout. Trying to roust up some decent 4 wheel LMS coaches and some LMS rolling stock for the engines to pull.  Also a nice Hornby station would be awsome.  MIke

Those Lionel Hall sets are generally a bargain so not worth a lot especially over here and too expensive to post back to the UK.  Best keep it and enjoy it!

David, what brand of paint  is the one you recommend with the number just in case it may be available in the US

Brian.

The Lionel Hall sets are a bargain for UK anything in the states and much easier to find then a large BL or Hornby engine. From the same gentleman that I got the Compound and Duke of York from, he has a LMS BL Royal Scot and 3 coaches in Crimson that he is gonna make me a killer deal on according to him.  He is in failing health, goes in for heart surgery in a week and is selling down his collection. Have to wait and see what his price will be, before I can decide if that set is affordable to me.  I have gotten both other engines at what a dealer would call "cost" so I am hopeful.  Its a pain to have a love of UK railroading and live in the states.  Espicaly when it comes to tinplate.   Mike  P.S., anybody have a source for a O scale TARDIS?   Got have the Doctor on my layout!   

Edited by artfull dodger

Artfull

In the UK, the price for the latest GWR livery, Lionchief control, version of the Hall train-set varies very widely, for reasons that are well beyond my understanding. Mine cost the equivalent of c$300, which was a seriously good bargain by UK standards, because they are to be seen at the equivalent of $600 too.

As a non-GWR person, I bought it to for the various children in the family and their friends to drive, because I get a tad nervous when they zoom my locos round the track at about 500mph. However, the loco is so good that I intend to over-paint it, and deal with some of the slightly gross features like the chasm between the loco and tender, and keep it, even when the children have lost interest.

To avoid over-speeding, I use my ordinary DC controller to give a set c10V on the track, then the children drive using the Lionchief handset. Because they have grown up with "remotes" for everything, they find a handheld much more intuitive than a traditional controller, which the youngest ones don't quite "get".

It is a real, real pity that the coaches are so under-scale, though. They are pretty good representations, but can't rise above "toy" in the UK context, where everything else towers over them.

Kevin