BR/LNER Hopper interiors - did they have handrails internally fitted?

Rail-Online

Hi,

Whilst scanning a few photos from Seaham in 1966 I came across this view - I am pretty sure those battered things are handrails and not negative scratches. What do you all think?

Tony

They definitely look like handrails; I do wonder who might go into a hopper wagon, though- perhaps when the load was frozen and wouldn't flow through the bottom doors?

A friend of mine was a GP in Hartlepool for many years. He remembers treating a local coal merchant who had been using a pick axe to free up 21 tons of frozen coal that was stood over a coal drop with the hopper doors open when gravity took over. I don't think that the internal handrails were of much use...

A friend of mine was a GP in Hartlepool for many years. He remembers treating a local coal merchant who had been using a pick axe to free up 21 tons of frozen coal that was stood over a coal drop with the hopper doors open when gravity took over. I don't think that the internal handrails were of much use...

You shouldn't chuckle, but.........

• 4 weeks later...

Found another Negative showing internals, far hopper is a LNER built one and has a different arrangement

Tony

Tony

Does the original negative show more of the first hopper as it is lettered up for "Iron Ore" and I suspect it may be a MoT one?

Mark Saunders

Tony

Does the original negative show more of the first hopper as it is lettered up for "Iron Ore" and I suspect it may be a MoT one?

Mark Saunders

Sorry Mark - that is the total extent of the neg. I too saw the Iron Ore branding but it was being used for coal traffic at the time as it is at Sunderland South Dock. I did wonder if it would be overloaded if fully filled with Iron Ore as it is such a dense mineral.

Tony

Sorry Mark - that is the total extent of the neg. I too saw the Iron Ore branding but it was being used for coal traffic at the time as it is at Sunderland South Dock. I did wonder if it would be overloaded if fully filled with Iron Ore as it is such a dense mineral.

Tony

Easily, it would probably be only about a third full depending on the iron content of the ore loaded, I have some photos of one of these stuffed in a cripple road after a hopper malfunction resulted in it being filled to the brim and then some, the springs are hard on the break stops and the whole thing is basically groaning under the weight!

Archived