Building a Coal Tank for West Kirby Town

Dmudriver

Hi.

A bit more progress:  I've fitted the boiler bands and the handrail knobs.  Both of these were made much easier by a friend who had some engineering instruments (I haven't a clue what they are called!) to draw straight lines on the curved surfaces.  So fitting the bands and knobs was relatively easy.  I've also fitted the buffer stocks (is that the right word?)

post-7571-0-10631400-1399237297_thumb.jpg

The handrails themselves are not permanently fitted yet as I want to get the boiler fixed to the footplate first.  Plus there are fittings to fasten to the smokebox.  Actually getting the smokebox level with the footplate isn't an easy task.  Why, I don't know, but if I just fit them together the front is one or two millimetres higher.  I'll get there, though.  Part of this problem is also a gap between the boiler and the cab front - see second pic:

post-7571-0-55545400-1399237308_thumb.jpg

However, that gap can be covered by the final boiler band.

So, next job is to fix the boiler to the footplate, then start adding the various white metal castings.  It's coming on!!

More soon.

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rod,

Just picked up on this thread and I gave to say its refreshing to see how you are getting on with it, I think you are doing yourself down when you say it's only your second kit. I've seen many kits built by much more experienced builders that come up to your standard. It's also great to see a self confessed average modeller (if I don't offend by using the term) getting on with something new, it's definitely given me some inspiration

Thanks

Doug

Hi Rod,

Just picked up on this thread and I gave to say its refreshing to see how you are getting on with it, I think you are doing yourself down when you say it's only your second kit. I've seen many kits built by much more experienced builders that come up to your standard. It's also great to see a self confessed average modeller (if I don't offend by using the term) getting on with something new, it's definitely given me some inspiration

Thanks

Doug

I agree. The soldering is particularly neat and tidy.

HI.

There's been some more progress on the Coal Tank - some frustrating, some satisfying, but progress none the less.  Thanks for your comments, Doug and no, you don't offend by using the term "average modeller" at all. It's what I am.  Looking at one of the photos here, you'll realise why!

I've started fitting various white metal castings.  The first pic shows the castings at the rear - there's the water filler and the tool boxes:

post-7571-0-26654100-1400101536_thumb.jpg

The latter are not very good castings - you can see a hole in the top of the near one and the end of the box up against the cab is a bit misshapen.  The hole I can fill, the bad shape I'll have to live with.  Unfortunately, on the other side of the bunker the misshapen end is in view, by the coal rails, but it's the less bad of the two which is why I put it there.  The red stuff in the cab is shrink tube over the redundant wires on the Lokpilot chip.  I don't cut them off in case I might need them at some time, even though not on this loco.

The next pic is a view from the front end:

post-7571-0-68890600-1400101550_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about the shape of the firebox door - it looks just a tad too flat, but I'm finding I could spend a lot of money on brass replacements for various parts and it's not what I want to do:  the finished model won't win any competitions but if it looks right from normal viewing distance it will suit me - for a while, anyway!  I've fixed the various castings on with Araldite and I found out tonight that it's better to scrape the surplus off not long after it has set rather than 12 hours later, when it's rock hard!!

Thereby hangs another tale:  I took the loco down to the Club today to try it out (and show it off, too, I suppose!) with the body and fittings on.  I put it on the DCC track - nothing.  I put it on the analogue track - nothing - again!.  Back on the DCC track and I heard a bit of a buzzing: took it off the track, tried to move the wheels - locked solid!  Took the body off and found a blob of Araldite glueing a wheel to the footplate!!!  It had dripped off the inside of one of the splasher/sand box castings!!  It soon came off with a knife, though.

You may notice that, in previous pics of the smokebox, there are 2 holes each side, but there's only one in total now.  2 of them are for lubricators which weren't fitted in BR days and the other is for the near-side sanding mechanism, but it was in the wrong place.  I filled them all with solder and then filed and sanded them down.  The large diameter pipe (sorry, I can't think what it's called, or what it's for) is provided as a piece of solid wire in the kit.  However the casting it fits to has a pip on it (2, in fact, though one goes in the hole in the smoke box) so I've used a piece of tube of the same diameter instead: the pip on the casting fits nicely inside - pic:

post-7571-0-45367200-1400101562_thumb.jpg

It's not fixed on yet just held in place - which is why I've cropped the picture - a screwdriver is holding the other end!!

Today I used a set of rolling bars at the Club to roll the cab roof.  I got it the right shape but it looked too big.  I checked photos when I got home and found that the sides of the roof flare out over the cab sides.  So I took a deep breath tonight and straightened the edges in my bending bars.  This pic shows the result - not too bad at all, in my opinion:

post-7571-0-56734600-1400101573_thumb.jpg

The edges press down onto the cab front and rear quite easily.  Next problem to turn over in my mind is how to fit it  so that it is removable but yet stays in place when in use.  Although you can't see it in the photos, the motor shaft will need cutting down to allow the backhead to fit, but that should be fairly easily done with a slitting disc.  Incidentally, the instructions say "Fit the reversing lever":  can I find one?  Not a chance!!  I'll have to fabricate one.

Finally a picture of the loco with chimney, dome and safety valves resting on top of the boiler/smokebox - it's beginning to look more like a Coal Tank now!!  However, I'm not convinced by the chimney: it should narrow a little at the bottom but this looks a little too much.  In this case, I might buy a decent turned brass one as it is rather visible and could spoil the look even from normal viewing distance:

post-7571-0-06439500-1400101586_thumb.jpg

This is the pic where the "average modeller" description applies - there's a loose cab handrail and bent coal rail bars, all of which happen when I've been handling it.  It's nearly as bad as learning to play drums (which I am doing) as you need to think what each hand is doing, but at least there's no need for feet as well!!

That's it for now.  More soon.

Rod

PS.      In the first pic (and visible in a couple of others) there's a hole in the top of the side tank inside the cab.  Has anyone any idea what this is for?  The pictures I've got don't help.  Is this where the reversing lever goes?  If so, what should it look like?  I can't find the regulator handle, either - I'll have to fabricate that, too.

Just to add to my last post - the hole on the side tank is for a rectangular casting.  I'm not sure what it is for but I've got glimpses of it in a cab view I've found.  There certainly isn't one in the kit, but whether it was missing in the original, or got lost before I bought the kit (second hand), I don't know.  Maybe Laurie Griffin does one?  I'll check his catalogue.

Rod

It's all looking good to me Rod! The large pipe along the side of the boiler would be for the vacuum ejector for the brakes but the fitting that goes in the 'ole in the tank I'm not sure.Probably the water valve for that side's injector. Have a look at this pic I found on't net; (third pic down) it may provide a few answers..

Jon F.

Hi Jon..  Thanks for that link: that cab photo is particularly useful.  The valve, as you suggest, is duplicated on the tank on the other side, yet there's no hole in the etch!!  Probably more bits from Laurie Griffin are called for!!

It's interesting that, at the beginning of that blog, Pete describes the kit as "difficult", possibly impossible.  I wouldn't disagree too much!!  However, I'll bash on with it (I've started, so I'll finish!).  I have got frustrated at times, but then light has also shone at times, so it's not too bad.  What I am hankering after, though, is a decent kit that I could make a really good model of.  My thoughts have strayed towards getting a DJH Ivatt 2-6-2T kit, which would be the proper one for the "Welsh Dragon" but that, be it Coal Tank or Ivatt, is long term.

It looks like the reverser is in fact a big wheel on the left of the cab looking forward.  How bad it will look without it, I'll wait and see.

Thanks again, though.

Rod

Rod,

I think you downplay your skills a little as she is looking absolutly superb, the way you think about the build step by step and solve issues does you credit

Very much looking forward to seeing her finished and hauling The Welsh Dragon

David

• 2 years later...

Did the Coal Tank ever get finished? These locos certainly worked locals along the coast into Llandudno before they were pushed aside by the new Ivatt tanks, but I don't know if the Rhyl-Llandudno motor train was called the 'Welsh Dragon' at that time. I saw the Ivatt workings regularly as a boy while on hols in a caravan just beside the mainline, but it was an early Derby "thrupenny bit" DMU when we caught the 'dragon'.

Did the Coal Tank ever get finished? These locos certainly worked locals along the coast into Llandudno before they were pushed aside by the new Ivatt tanks, but I don't know if the Rhyl-Llandudno motor train was called the 'Welsh Dragon' at that time. I saw the Ivatt workings regularly as a boy while on hols in a caravan just beside the mainline, but it was an early Derby "thrupenny bit" DMU when we caught the 'dragon'.

Hi coachmann.

Yes, it did, but not by me: a pal finished it off for me.  It does run on the layout, usually coupled to the inspection saloon, on a weekend timetable - alternating with "The Welsh Dragon".  I have got a Chowbent kit for an ex-LNWR driving trailer to build sometime to run with it but when I'll get round to that, goodness only knows!!  I bought a DJH RTR Ivatt, numbered 41276, which seemed a frequent loco on the latter train from the pictures I've got.  They both feature in my West KIrby Town thread, but right at the moment, I'm not sure where.  I'll try and find the place for you.

I used to see it when we were on holiday in Colwyn Bay when I was a kid and it was always an ambition to have a model of it.  I know the early Derby Lightweight DMUs were used on it for a while until it reverted back to steam but I don't recall seeing them in the flesh - in pictures, yes.

Rod

Hi Larry, JLTRT will be releasing a Derby Lightweight DMU kit sometime soon.

Best regards

Craig.

Hi Larry, JLTRT will be releasing a Derby Lightweight DMU kit sometime soon.

Best regards

Craig.

Temptation temptations he he. I have to admit such things will only be considered after my layout is fully functioning. Real locos and rolling stock translate so perfectly into this scale that I wake up thinking '0 gauge'....

Temptation temptations he he. I have to admit such things will only be considered after my layout is fully functioning. Real locos and rolling stock translate so perfectly into this scale that I wake up thinking '0 gauge'....

Saying that Larry, you could use one of Shawn Kay's Easybuild 101 Met Cam Dmus as well, I have seen a picture circa mid 60's of a Met Cam DMU at Park Hall Halt station "alight for Gabowen Hospital" .... here it is below, please remove if copyright has been infringed.

Sorry for the thread hijack Rod.

post-8721-0-71328700-1479682000.jpg

Most DMU's came too late as far as my modelling is concerned. The only DMU I would entertain is one of the early Derby hexagon-front Units, which I believe JTLRT is about to produce. We will pass Park Hall Halt in two weeks time. 

Everytime I see this thread has an update, I keep hoping someone has something to say about Coal Tanks. These engines were the stuff of legend in my younger days.

Archived