Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 9F locking up

Hi I am really sad  :no2:

My Hornby 9F R2105D that I purchased in 2004 but have hardly used has developed severe coupling rod lock!

Its been safely stored in its own box and maybe only run a few times, certainly it was put away working smoothly!

Got it out today to take to the father in law later in the week and was shocked to discover its wheels locked up.

Have applied oil, checked crank pins, made sure rods are not bent and even eased one of the front rods as it seemed very tight.

In fact it does seem to be the front rod set that causes the issue because when I remove the crank pins all is smooth.

It kind of looks like the rods don't pull the front pair of wheels around enough

Can any anyone please offer suggestions on how to solve this, I am at a total loss!

Thanks.

P1000827_zpsd4953758.jpg

P1000826_zps68555e50.jpg

P1000825_zpsd53b1b6e.jpg

Hi Mike.

I would suspect that the wheel quartering is out.

Looking at your first photo it looks like the rear driver is off the track.

Looking at the last photo the first three drivers are on 90* while the last driver looks to be already past 90*.

Maybe someone else can spot something different ?

Does the loco lock up dead or does it run with a limp ?

The end wheelsets are liable to cause lock ups, as a result of the general slop in the chassis added to the lost motion in the rod hinge joints in the end rods that go to the end wheelsets. 

Before the Bachmann model was released, I had loco motorised two of this version of the Hornby model. Most of the rod hinge joints wore out after a couple of years operation, some of them failing again after DIY rivet replacement in copper (I used a softer metal for the replacement rivet to try to minimise wear on the rod). 

The end wheelsets are liable to cause lock ups, as a result of the general slop in the chassis added to the lost motion in the rod hinge joints in the end rods that go to the end wheelsets. 

Before the Bachmann model was released, I had loco motorised two of this version of the Hornby model. Most of the rod hinge joints wore out after a couple of years operation, some of them failing again after DIY rivet replacement in copper (I used a softer metal for the replacement rivet to try to minimise wear on the rod). 

My Evening Star suffers from this and I would agree that the problem is excessive slop in the motion - the coupling rods being jointed doesn't help - all that slop adds up. I thought the problem was due to the front axle quartering being out (driving this axle causes the motion to bind*), but this doesn't appear to be the case. I thought of adding gearing to take the load off the coupling rods, but this seems to me to be overkill.

* The binding is sufficient to lock the wheels when running, but stops short of total seizure.

My Hornby 9 F dose this It used to be fine and has covered some miles in its time but now locks up every so often, as I've had it a long time I thought it might be getting loose wih age. As yet I've not found a reasion for this but have noticed it dosnt do it when running tender first, be interesed to hear if any one finds an answer to this

I tried soldering up just one sloppy hinge joint when I first saw this trouble, and that proved that they were necessary for curves (30" radius) as the loco immediately demonstrated a 'gait' on curves thereafter. Best that I could do was make the replacement joint rivets a snug but mobile fit, and attend regularly to lubrication. I was getting close to the point where I would have either had to bush the centre rigid rod section or replace with spares, when Bachmann's 9F appeared and my conversions could retire.

Tangentially, I have been very careful with the Bachmann 9F as the rods are fully jointed, these have a shorter lubrication interval of the rod joints than the usual run. The 2nd wheelset crankpin holes initially wore quite fast, I think until the drive was mostly transmitted to the rods from the larger diameter 3rd wheelset crankpin, (2nd and 3rd wheelsets both gear driven). No problems yet, seven years of regular operation accrued.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived