7mm layout feedback please

Hi Guys

Here is my proposed plan for a 7mm narrow gauge line

post-20732-0-37562900-1396950496_thumb.jpg

The track feeds in from a fiddle yard on the left ( probably a short sector plate ) - there is a single narrow gauge line to the fiddle yard that exits under a brick arch bridge. There is also a sunken standard gauge line that feeds into a sunken siding. Coal gets delivered here from a standard gauge wagon and loaded off onto a narrow gauge wagon - the tops of each wagon will be at the same height due to the SG siding being sunken. The SG line goes under a girder bridge.

The platform loop is very short as passenger trains will only be a single coach or two very short ones

Not sure if my ash pit is in the right place ( I am not planning on a loco shed on the scenic part of the layout ) 

The 'main' line currently terminates on the left hand side at the gated level crossing ( this is to allow for a possible future extension )

I would be grateful to hear any comments - especially if you can see any problems

My opinion is that a railway with such a short loop would not spend money an a loco turntable.

Swapping the SG siding position with the NG siding would allow you to extend the loop, also giving room for a loco servicing siding without the need for the turntable

My opinion is that a railway with such a short loop would not spend money an a loco turntable.

Although the turntable is a nice to have feature ... It always draws attention at shows and focuses eyes on the loco from all angles.

So why not use it at the end of the station loop - with one road off beyond at LC for a small shed? and the coal and water road retained but off the TT. If the TT is long enough to take 1 wagon + loco then there is shunting opportunity using the TT.

Nor am I sure why a turntable is needed, unless you're planning on using a newfangled railcar thingymagig or one of them thar' tenderised locos?

Is there a back story to your design? It has some shades of an Estate Railway a la Heywood, or an elaborate potato railway. Most, but not all ng lines, tended to be built to get loads to the SG network, rather than the other way around, so I'll look forward to your progress.

I wonder what it would take to convince you to replace the standard gauge siding with a canal wharf? 

Like this 'ere on:-

http://www.aditnow.co.uk/cache/Pentrich-and-Oakerthorpe-Tramway-Archive-Album/Pentrich-and-Oakerthorpe-Tramway-Archive-Album-001.jpg

Good Luck!

Eric

(edit to add link)

post-4404-0-97378400-1397046450.jpg

Yesterday morning I started working on this model and even though I now am considering shortening it by 6" ( the full size layout ) I decided to finish this today instead of having any lunch

The bridge is just a place holder - might do a decent representation later

but you should get some idea of the contours ( not to scale though ) 

post-20732-0-70761900-1397218702_thumb.jpg

Archived