Skaleby West

andyram

I managed another running session today, and things took on something of a Western flavour. Small Prairie 4566 worked the passenger train whilst Pannier 5757 worked the freight. There are more pictures on the Facebook page.post-13478-0-68276500-1464906201_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-53998400-1464906233_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-84811000-1464906273_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

Skaleby West has a very special visitor today. A Stanier Pacific has never been seen on the branch before, and probably never will be seen again. But today this particular train is in honour of our dearly departed RMWeb friend Jock whose funeral takes place today. These were amongst his favourite classes of locomotives.

RIP Sir.post-13478-0-91720100-1464945540_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Bad weather has kept me indoors and has led to a short running session today. Isle of Wight Adams 02 number 16 Ventnor is seen at Skaleby West. The layout is being run regularly at present. There is an ongoing list of jobs to do with some platform items in need of repair. The main job is to add new supports to the underneath of the main board to raise it to the height of the scenic extension. There is a slight difference in height which was not noticed during the extension build. The point that leads into the loop will need relaying too as it has lifted. These jobs may be tackled during the school summer holidays.

post-13478-0-05045000-1466874094_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks Andy. I must admit I have a soft spot for the Standard 3 tanks, I have two such models (82001 and 82020 although the latter is unweathered). I look forward to the time when the new build Standard 3 is completed at the Severn Valley Railway.

In the mean time, here are two more shots from today.

post-13478-0-51421900-1467484769_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-74977600-1467484783_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andyram
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

New motive power on service trains at Skaleby West today. J94 number 68080 is seen after arrival with the day's first train after recently returning to service.post-13478-0-10759200-1468687319_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-15838900-1468687333_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andyram
  • Like 2

I have had it years Andy. I ran it on my original layout, but it stopped working after a while and has been parked on the old layout in the garage since we moved. I gave it a bit of tender loving care this afternoon, treating it to a wheel clean and a few drops of oil, before running up and down the new project (as you have seen!!). It ran smoothly. Nice to finally have it back in service.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Andy. I just noticed my humble offering has passed 5,000 page views - quite an amazing number considering it is my first real attempt. As you can tell from recent photos, the model is being operated fairly regularly at home as it has become my main home layout. After its appearance at last year's Weston show I had intended for it to be to set to one side to allow its successor, Skaleby East, to take over exhibition duties. Part of the reason for this was the number of running repairs and corrective work that needed doing. However the build of Skaleby East has fallen well behind schedule and I doubt it will be presentable for Weston 2016. Also Skaleby West has a tentative booking for early 2017 so it lives on.

Tonight, whilst at the model railway club, I got coerced into doing the scenic water treatment on the club layout's river. I had quite an enjoyable time and, for a first attempt, it did not look too bad. That has inspired me to turn my attention to the unfinished river on Skaleby West's scenic extension. As a result the school summer holiday may be spent, not on Skaleby East, but on further developing this layout. The modelling mojo is shifting back in the direction of Skaleby West.

• Like 1

Since my last post I have purchased one of the Woodland Scenics "Scenic Water Kits" from our local branch of Hobby Craft. This will be used to develop the river scene. Hopefully work will start on that soon.

In order to take advantage of the renewed mojo I wanted a project to work on in front of the television tonight. As a result I have started work on new piece of rolling stock for the layout - namely a Dapol carriage kit. Tonight the ends have been painted black and a brown treatment has been given to the floor of the interior as well as some of the walls. I have also assembled the two bogie sets.

Once finished the carriage will be populated with some passengers.

The light in the picture is not great, but here is the progress thus far. (The picture has also been uploaded upside down!!)

post-13478-0-97646800-1470437850_thumb.jpeg

Edited by andyram
  • Like 1

Just the one kit to do at present Andy. I bought it last October from the Wirksworth show and have only just got around to starting it. It is my first attempt at building a kit so I have chosen something simple. Hopefully I won't mess it up!

• 1 month later...

The school summer holiday did not see quite as much modelling progress I had hoped. Things have stalled in the progress of my other layouts, meaning that they won't be ready for this year's Weston on Trent show. As a result Skaleby West will be heading back to its home show for another year. Over the next few weeks I will be aiming to undertake the various repairs needed. I will also aim to further develop the extended scenic section that was displayed part finished last year.

The school summer holiday did not see quite as much modelling progress I had hoped. Things have stalled in the progress of my other layouts, meaning that they won't be ready for this year's Weston on Trent show. As a result Skaleby West will be heading back to its home show for another year. Over the next few weeks I will be aiming to undertake the various repairs needed. I will also aim to further develop the extended scenic section that was displayed part finished last year.

Morning Andy, Hope the Show goes well mate, pity I'm away this year and can't make it.

• 1 month later...

A brief running session today. Standard 3 82001 returned to Skaleby West on a passenger service with a parcels van attached to the rear. After arrival the train reversed back over the points before detaching the van. After hauling the carriages back into the station the loco ran around the train and hauled the van into the loop before shunting it into the good yard. Here a few iPad pictures from the day.

post-13478-0-06706800-1477331237_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-27251000-1477331256_thumb.jpegpost-13478-0-07293100-1477331268_thumb.jpeg

The layout is due to attend the Weston on Trent exhibition next month.

• Like 4

Some work in the railway room today. Skaleby East's baseboard has been stripped of all but the track, with buildings stored away. The build of this layout has stalled and the layout is now mothballed to the garage. This has allowed the whole of Skaleby West's scenic section to be viewed. Whilst most of Skaleby East's buildings have been returned to their original boxes, one box has eluded me. The small gents toilet block has therefore found a temporary home on Skaleby West's platform. It almost looks at home as the Standard 3 arrives with the late evening train.post-13478-0-17067400-1477431702_thumb.jpeg

After Skaleby East's baseboards were removed I found the time to give the river bed a quick coat of Woodland Scenics river bed undercoat.

post-13478-0-80304800-1477431884_thumb.jpeg

Hopefully I can make further progress this week.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 3

A little more scenic work today. I am trying to get the river scene complete before the Weston show next month. Some scenic scatter has been added to the river bank and some rocks to the river bed. All will be glued down before the scenic water is added.

post-13478-0-69110800-1477575237_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3