Tips for renumbering/naming loco's

• RMweb Premium

I'd be most grateful for anyone's 'tips' regarding the renumbering of 4mm loco's (cabsides). I have done a few new numbering on kitbuilds in the past but getting them level and spaced if they don't come as a ready made set has sometimes been a challenge. I've considered using Tamiya 'masking' tape as a level.

I think the renaming should be straightforward? I will be using Modelmasters' 'sets' on my Bulleids and King Arthurs as they come ready to roll so to speak and individual waterslide numerals (unless advised otherwise) on the others; e.g. M7, T9, N and S15. 

Do I remember someone once saying start with a 'central' numeral on 5 digit loco's?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

I would advise modelling GWR prototypes - nice easy locomotive renumbering with etched plates!

In all seriousness though, when I do wagons and coaches I start with the centre number and a bit of masking tape to use a a straight edge if it will fit in. It helps to write the number down on a piece of paper to see how it looks and where the middle is to get your head around it if you see what I mean. Old numbers I remove with Joe's Model Trains Detail and Decal Remover (other options available!).

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Generally a cabside has enough in the way of nearby horizontal and vertical features that these can be your guide. If you are putting tape on, spend a while looking at it from all angles to assure yourself that it is bang on position compared to all the other permanent features. Measure the space, and work out the centre point for the 3rd numeral, and off you go using photographs to guide you on the appearance of your subject. There was never complete consistency.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Phil,

I would advise modelling GWR prototypes - nice easy locomotive renumbering with etched plates!

In all seriousness though, when I do wagons and coaches I start with the centre number and a bit of masking tape to use a a straight edge if it will fit in. It helps to write the number down on a piece of paper to see how it looks and where the middle is to get your head around it if you see what I mean. Old numbers I remove with Joe's Model Trains Detail and Decal Remover (other options available!).

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Castle, can you provide details of your 'source for the Joe's product please? Their website links to UK suppliers draws a blank on this product with those suppliers.

Phil

Hi Phil,

My stuff came from Model Junction in Slough and they have not only a very good website but are also very good at getting things in if you request them. Call if what you want isn't on the website. Biscuits and tea sometimes out on the counter if you visit! They only open the shop to the public on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. USA prototypes only but model supplies coming out of their ears. Very friendly and highly recommended.

Usual Disclaimer - no connection other than being a very satisfied customer.

All the best,

Castle

Hi

I am no expert, but if you check the link to my thread you can see a run through of renumbering a class 20. Later i do a Network rail 31 and a GRRf 66, with a few tips from a few friends.

No masterclass but it may be of some use.

Also Jaz goes on to to paint 66020 in the children's competition livery

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72163-arboretum-valley-video-killed-the-railroad-star/?p=1352384

Archived