3 Function DCC Chip's not working in my Bachmann 37025?

richard60098

Hi gent's,

I've got a rails 37025 model and it just errors when ever i try to put a chip in it, this is with any make of chip too! Any ideas why its doing this and how i can fix the problem as i've checked all the wiring and everything looks ok and in place but she will only run on dc.

Many Thanks.

And, in line with the above - check there is insulation, and not conducting metal, below the socket .... or when (any) decoder plug is pushed 'fully home' it may make contact with the metalwork beneath!

This hazard applies to many models!

If shorting beneath the socket has been / is the problem, then it is likely to destroy any decoder inserted!  The blanking plug may be sufficiently short or pinless to not-short, and may have no damagable components.

You have not reported whether the decoders still work in othe rlocos?

ALSO you can try a dcc-fitted loco by simply holding a 9V battery to its wheels (or via a piece of track, if the pickups are offset) - UNLESS it has had 'work on DC' disabled in CV29

(this is disabled by some users to avoid a start-up 'surge' of movement, oR because they use 'brake on DC' sections for semi-automated running.

[Of course, if the connections are still shoritng, this will still not produce a running loco, but at least the currents might  be lower]

Are the 'errors' when attempting programming ? - it may simply not be seeing the loco - in which case the problem might be the OPPOSITE of that previously suggested above ... OPEN circuit through a broken wire etc etc.   A  MULTIMETER is ALWAYS a useful tool when converting or maintaining locos:

CHECK BEFORE CONVERSION: to find the resisitance between the wheels, via the motor

CHECK AFTER REMOVING THE BLANKING PLUG that the motor is TOTALLY ISOLATED from the track, [ and  preferably, chassis - but this is NOT a requirement ]

CHECK with the METER that the track pickups connect through to the SOCKET (the positions on opposite corners where the RED and BLACK decoder wires will go)

CHECK with the METER that the motor shows the same resistance as when seen on DC/ before starting conversion - using the OTHER PAIR of corner connections on the socket

(where the ORANGE and GREY decoder wires WILL go when the decoder is plugged in.

There is an 'anomily' with the BLUE wire (positive) and the other wires (usually open collector pull-down ie 'negative' function outputs - if the decoder is inserted the wrong way, this can cause damage with some circuits. - as happened with the Hornby Class 50 - The same CAN also occur due to mirror-image 9-pin JST connectors - for which I now add a diode on the blue and white leads to prevent damage if reversed!

Hi Richard,

May I enquire as to what DCC system you are using, what the error messages/codes are and what it is you are trying to program into the decoder or change on the decoder?

The fact it runs on DC is a good sign.

Archived