GEM J36 kit

You have resuscitated that alright. Once painted it will more than satisfy and a close inspection will be needed to spot it for a whitemetal kit; fine for a working layout loco.

There is one thing I would do to it, to make it a reliable runner: line the inside of the splashers above the flanges with 10 thou plasticard strip, pre-formed to shape. The bendy footplate problem cannot be eliminated, but its liability to produce occasional shorts can be...

Excellent suggestion, thanks.

Steve

Have my eyes/brain deceived me or was there a posting on here giving a bit of background to the J36 kit which has now disappeared?

Yes, there was a very interesting post by Coachmann which for some unknown reason has now been removed. Pity as such background information is hard to find.

Steve

The RCTS Green Book, Locomotives of the LNER Part 5. Gives full details of the J36 and including J1 -J37 classes.

Also look at http://www.nbr4mm.co.uk/locochassis/9203.htm which gives a short history. (No connection).

and of course http://www.lner.info/locos/J/j36.shtml

The deleted post gave historic details of the GEM kits and the pattern maker's name, etc. from Coachmann, a very reliable source - this is the information I meant was hard to find :-)

Steve

Well the Master Maker was Geoff Edwards who did most of the master's in the George Mellor era, he did the masters for both the J36 and the J83 as well producing the J83 chassis masters for both the original and cast block versions.

The deleted post gave historic details of the GEM kits and the pattern maker's name, etc. from Coachmann, a very reliable source - this is the information I meant was hard to find :-)

Steve

Steve.

Thought we were talking about the loco details, not the particular kit details.

To be honest, as shown by this thread, the old Gem kits need a hell of a lot of work to bring them up to todays standards.

But they are a good basis, as this thread shows, for upgrading and making more prototypical.

Happy modelling and researching!!!

Andy.

• 2 months later...

The GEM J36 is finally complete and painted and it is a nice runner with the High level gear box.

The transfers were Modelmaster and were a bit of a problem as I could not remove the varnish film without lifting the letters/numbers even though I applied them to a gloss surface. Luckily the weathering and dullcote hid most of the film.

post-9373-0-13947500-1415916382_thumb.jpg

post-9373-0-60022900-1415916433_thumb.jpg

Archived