Any Black Painted Castles?

• RMweb Premium

Were any castles painted black during WW2?

Or were they left in unlined green?

or shabbier still, painted only where they had to be, and patch painted elsewhere following a trip to the 'shop.

Is there a list of black castles, or black GWR locos anywhere?

Thanks in advance.

Hi All,

Ian Sixsmith's 'Book of the Castles' states that No. 5001 Llandovery Castle and No. 5018 St. Mawes Castle carried the black livery. I don't know his source but the rest of the book is accurate so I don't doubt he had good reason for putting it in. The rest were in plain green. It was not unheard of for a green Castle to be pulling a black tender either. No. 4079 was so reported for a very brief period.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Here is the evidence as I have it:

RE: Black Castle

With respect Ian, I have conveyed information from a published work by a respected author in good faith. I have quoted that I don't know his source but it is not inconceivable that it happened during the fog of war. The important thing during the war wasn't to ensure that the engines were the right colour but that they were available for traffic to win the conflict. As for calling it a April Fools - perhaps your surname is Sixsmith and you know something we don't?

RE: Black Tenders

I was chatting with a guy who was a boy cleaner at one of the sheds that No. 4079 was at during WW II and he recited the tale. She was shed pet there, kept in immaculate condition. She was sent to Swindon for an ailment that the shed couldn't deal with and it was returned with a black tender. As she was shed pet, the next green engine that turned up overnight with a good green tender left with a black one... This was a first hand account related to me.

M.I.B. - I presume it was the standard wartime livery - as you can see above, I only have the data.

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Ian Sixsmith's 'Book of the Castles' states that No. 5001 Llandovery Castle and No. 5018 St. Mawes Castle carried the black livery. I don't know his source but the rest of the book is accurate so I don't doubt he had good reason for putting it in. The rest were in plain green. It was not unheard of for a green Castle to be pulling a black tender either. No. 4079 was so reported for a very brief period.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Very informative Castle - and interesting.  However don't forget that during the war some 'Castle's were painted at Swindon in fully lined green so presumably they retained that livery for much, if not all of the conflict?  (under a considerable amount of dirt no doubt)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Castle,

No, I'm not SixSmith.

I had my tongue very firmly planted in my cheek when I wrote that.

I can just imagine the 'Harumphs' going on....

Talking of 'Black Castles', what about the Highland ones?

Regards,

Ian

Archived