Industrial 18" line

Catweasel

Looking at a possible 18" gauge line. Very light rail and 32 mm gauge. Loco to be Yatton Engineering Sylva Springs fitted with radio control. Code 100 rail soldered to 12 mm copper clad sleepers to represent welded track. Very tight curves of course. Photo is of typical point.

post-13505-0-03180000-1397640980_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...

Simon

Bear in mind that track (be it of 40cm, 50cm or 60cm gauge) set to that sharp a radius was only ever intended for hand operation, although I have seen a "Type 1" point in 2ft gauge used to access a loco shed (so used by 4w locos but not for haulage). Indeed I believe that 40cm track in France was normally only ever used for hand (or possibly cable) haulage.

50cm track, however, was almost the industrial standard (rather than 60cm) in France. I do have a detailed drawing of a LH "type 2" point in 12mm gauge (just over 50cm in 7mm scale) from which the point on my layout at RAMMA last year was constructed and which certainly works perfectly - note that you can't just blow-up/blow-down drawings to suit different gauges as the crossing angle changes, they have to be redrawn from first principles. You are welcome to a copy if you let me know.

Decauville always reconned 40cm gauge was not suitable for loco haulage, but there are a number of industrial lines around which have managed , just. There is also the brick museum railway in Brittany, which is mainly for passenger use, so suspect no sharp curves, as tide would be even more uncomfortable)

Sharp curves in reality on any gauge would probably not be suitable for loco haulage, but for models , there are a lot of sharper than prototype curves in all scales and gauges. Something I might do is have motorized wagons, and have a figure somehow 'pushing' the wagon.

I used standard Peco Setrack on my APA module at RAMMA, but am investigating something for a new challenge, and possibly spin offs using 3D printing. I seem to remember some very tight curves on some of the models at RAMMA.

Quite often track was not even curved, just a series of short straights, and then there were the single blade points.

It was something like the mining operations I as thinking of, with some type of (freelance) battery trammer .

I have printed of and resized the point above, and for 16.5mm gauge it would be about 6in radius. Would like to see others in the range. I am sure I have seen them in some document online. It is actually bigger radius than I expected, so I will probably continue with my 10cm ones. If they work Ok then OK, but otherwise I will up the radius, or use some converted r2r points(Jouef 32cm radius) for initial project.

That point drawing, has, though, shown be size of steel sleepers.

Archived