The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Walking Gorey pier to St Catherine's breakwater to join a 3hr rib trip to a reef off the French mainland generated a decent appetite for us earlier. Staying on the bus through to St Helier on the return, to find a decent Italian accidentally treated us to The Falcons and Red Arrows practising for tomorrow's airshow across the seafront...

BeRTIe

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5966.jpeg

IMG_5993.jpeg

IMG_5999.jpeg

IMG_6015.jpeg

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 8

Scottish castles, distillery lunches and lard burning sums up today pretty well. An outing in lovely Autumnal sunshine to Caerlaverock castle nr Dumfries via Annan B roads started our day. A pleasant explore of the ruins and abandoned first attempt due to sinking into the Solway set us up for our favourite tearoom lunch in that of the tastefully appointed Annandale distillery. Arriving back in Silloth in warm afternoon sunshine meant car washing duties and a third consecutive 90 min cycling circuit of the Solway plain to help make my clothes fit better after the indulgences of our recent Jersey & Norfolk hol.

BeRTIe

IMG_6166.jpeg

IMG_6169.jpeg

IMG_6164.jpeg

IMG_6170.jpeg

• Like 7

...it is easy to be become mired in the seemingly endless cycle of world issues and problems of the here & now...getting out into the amazing scenery & history of these isles breaks that depressing reality for us and serves as a constant refresher of spirit. Sharing a few pictures hopefully also gives a lift to those reading this thread.

BeRTIe

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

A few hectic days starting with a Pendolino from Carlisle to Crewe last Wednesday, the SLW class 25 launch through the weekend and a couple of days with my parents in The Staffordshire Moorlands fortunately included time for a long country stroll into Leek for lunch and a pint yesterday. The Churnet Valley Railway is easily visible from the towpath of the Caldon canal towards Consall...

BeRTIe

IMG_6328.jpeg

• Like 6

On 24/09/2023 at 05:16, BR traction instructor said:

...it is easy to be become mired in the seemingly endless cycle of world issues and problems of the here & now...getting out into the amazing scenery & history of these isles breaks that depressing reality for us and serves as a constant refresher of spirit. Sharing a few pictures hopefully also gives a lift to those reading this thread.

BeRTIe

I sometimes think that the thread should be renamed "Days when I get jealous of BeRTIe's latest set of photos" 😜

They're often of parts of the country I don't know well or at all and they generally do make me want to be there; thanks for posting them

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR traction instructor said:

The intention is to show pride and interest in our islands but thankyou for the compliment.

The Leopard in Nantwich has served up a nice pint of Slumbering Monk just now...cheers!

BeRTIe

IMG_6333.jpeg

I like the bar, it looks as if it comes from some old shop fittings repurposed. The Podimore Inn near the RNAS museum has a similar bar that was made from an old apothecary's shop fittings.

My previous employer moved headquarters from Luton to London in the late 90s. One employee rescued the very nice Persian rug that had been in reception from a skip. It was apparently rather high quality.

A former chairman (allegedly) rescued the Lowry that the company owned. The company took or at least threatened legal action to recover it from him.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

A couple of hours with a former boating buddy to start today, followed by a stroll along The Shropshire Union canal from Nantwich to Audlem for lunch and a pint.

The Shroppie Fly in Audlem serving Shropshire Gold and going well with the ham, egg & chips...Cheers!

The elusive but scenically routed 73 bus from Audlem back to Nantwich was very nearly just that. Having been redirected to several different bus stops I eventually couldn't find one on the Whitchurch road out of the village and just waited in a wide road spot and stuck my hand out. Luckily the driver stopped and described the area as hail & ride...just stand in a safe spot...

BeRTIe

IMG_6336.jpeg

IMG_6337.jpeg

IMG_6338.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Lurker said:

My previous employer moved headquarters from Luton to London in the late 90s. One employee rescued the very nice Persian rug that had been in reception from a skip. It was apparently rather high quality.

A former chairman (allegedly) rescued the Lowry that the company owned. The company took or at least threatened legal action to recover it from him.

I rescued a solid oak topped table from a skip at work. All that was wrong with it was where a vase of flowers had been placed on it there was a small water stain. I understand that water stains can be removed from wood using vinegar and white spirit.

• Like 4