The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Days when you know why you live in the British Isles

Aft'noon all,

Yes we live on on an island with highish rainfall levels and the Staffordshire Moorlands has more than its fair share, however, lovely weather such as we're experiencing currently makes it all worthwhile. There are few things nicer than getting home from a day shift in the mid-afternoon and setting out for a couple of hours cycling along lightly trafficked country roads around The Roaches nr Leek (my current circuit)....a few scenes from yesterday on this clip

This circuit is anti-clockwise from the Thorncliffe side of the Moss Rose public house (outskirts of Leek), then up onto Morridge (10mins pushing with my 3 speed bike...the only stiff climb on the circuit), along Morridge to The Winking Man, crossing the A53 and on round the back of The Roaches to Roach End before descending to Meerbrook village where The Lazy Trout pub is ideal for some refreshment. Then crossing Tittesworth reservoir on the causeway and steadily climbing back to The 3 Horseshoes pub at Blackshaw Moor, again crossing the A53 for the steady climb to Thorncliffe village and turning right to head back towards The Moss Rose pub.

Despite the limited visibility yesterday there were good views into Derbyshire (Axe edge area) and Cheshire (Shuttlingsloe being the highest point in that county). On clear days Fiddlers Ferry Power station can be seen (50 miles away near Warrington), the Welsh Mountains, The Wrekin (near Telford) and many other points besides.

The weather was dull today (Thursday) so a 1hr 45min time was achieved...not hanging around to admire the views.

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 15

Yes, very nice - but me, again I'm just looking forward to taking the dogs in the van, just 15 miles from home, to a nice spot on the Purbecks, and walking in some of England's finest countryside, and ending up at  the pub with the excellent outlook as below ( the pub in my 'signature'). Yes that's the sea in the misty distance (1 & 1/2 miles away). :sungum:

post-7336-0-02668800-1397662697_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

One of our favourite areas B2S....we've had many holidays based around Swanage and enjoyed coastal path walking, swimming in Lulworth cove, visiting Brownsea island, walking to Corfe castle and returning on the steam train etc. You are lucky to live there.

Dave

• Like 1

then up onto Morridge (10mins pushing with my 3 speed bike...the only stiff climb on the circuit), along Morridge to The Winking Man, 

It's still one of my favourite drives in the country and we'll regularly take visitors over there to show what a grand county we live in.

• Like 1

I still kick myself remembering I let go through my fingers a chance to buy a house on Flask Walk, Hampstead back in the late seventies...... Really like the area around the actual city like Smithfield for an apartment and I always enjoyed walking around the City of London, the square mile, on Sundays, when it is so quiet. You feel connected to the place back for centuries.

Thanks for the movie.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

I still kick myself remembering I let go through my fingers a chance to buy a house on Flask Walk, Hampstead back in the late seventies...... Really like the area around the actual city like Smithfield for an apartment and I always enjoyed walking around the City of London, the square mile, on Sundays, when it is so quiet. You feel connected to the place back for centuries.

Thanks for the movie.

Best, Pete.

Know just how you feel.  I just couldn't raise the last £2000 to buy a beautiful Georgian house at 33 Camberwell Grove at about the same time - last week in The Metro freebie paper I saw the house next door at £1,850,000!  Gulp!  Still you can only live in one house at a time.............................

• Like 1

Know just how you feel.  I just couldn't raise the last £2000 to buy a beautiful Georgian house at 33 Camberwell Grove at about the same time - last week in The Metro freebie paper I saw the house next door at £1,850,000!  Gulp!  Still you can only live in one house at a time.............................

My folks couldn't stretch to a house on Primrose Hill in 1970 - asking price £25,000 at that time. Today's asking price is somewhere around £1.5m to £2m.  :O

On the other hand, they did buy a repossessed 4-bed semi-detached house in 1992 for £130,000, and it's now apparently worth around £700,000 now, so they must have done something right.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The Roaches and surrounding area were often our chosen destination for winter walking. I always felt strangely at home there. It wasn't till many years later that I found at least one branch of my family tree came from the Staffordshire Moorlands only four generations back from me. That's probably why I feel drawn to the area.

• Like 2

was just thinking about this thread last night after remembering  i dont have my commute this morning then i realized i pass the location of three layouts from this forum om the way namely coachman's Greenfield  then Delph and finnaly Newhay tho thats a tram line now.

i get to cross three county boundary Cheshire to lancs lancs to yorks then back into lancs again 

i get to cross moorland  through villages and towns get spectacular views to fiddlers ferry and the cheshire plane  in the distance and over the yorks pennine moors the other way  and you know what i bloody love it 

just hope we dont move from rochdale to cadishead at work as that will be a crap commute 

When we have a week off me & Mrs Rivercider like to get down to Devon or Cornwall

and have made a start at walking the South West Coast Path,

we are only enthusiastic amateurs, being easily distracted by things like stops for coffee, and pubs......  

So far we have only done some of the easily accessible bits, but what a great way to get to the pub,

post-7081-0-19834300-1398152294.jpg

This on the section from Exmouth heading towards Budleigh Salterton in Glorious Devon, 15/5/2012

cheers

• Like 13