Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

FLUX - Warning

Giles

At Railex last week, I bought a bottle of flux, and having taken it on holiday, I have found it impossible to solder with (much to my frustration....)

I have a poor sense of smell......

Having of course thoroughly cleaned every thing first, I couldn't understand it at all, as it was worse than soldering with no flux at all. Poking my nose over the top of the bottle, I detected the familiar aroma of acetone or MEK (which I had been blithely poking my soldering iron into). My wife confirmed it, and I conducted a further test by dipping a very small piece of tissue into it, putting it safely into a sink, and putting a lighter to it, whereupon it behaved exactly as I thought it would - i.e. burning as a solvent does.

It also strips paint and evaporates in a very familiar way......

Please be aware of this issue - my bottle is labeled up

'Easi'

Universal Liquid Flux

50ml

Packed by Finishing Touches, 4 Manor Court, Blaby, Leicester, 0116 2785134

Hi,

Having worked with solvents for many years I know only too well the extreme danger this poses.

However having spoken to the manufacturer a few mins ago I can tell you all the proprietor is aware that this mistake has happened (almost certainly a simple mis-labelling) and is investigating.

Obviously if you have a bottle of this flux check it first and if its obviously a solvent either use it to assemble plastic kits or return it to the company who I'm sure will be happy to sort the matter out.

Thank you for your warning - hopefully we will not get to hear of anyone being hurt.

Regards.

It's a pleasure. I post this out of genuine concern, and absolutely not out of any intent to 'have a go' at any of our small suppliers. I dare say it is an unfortunate mislabelling of identical bottles.

Hi,

I'm sure anyone who see's your post will know that you meant no criticism of the manufacturer for what was almost certainly a simple mistake.

This is the advantage of Forums such as RMWeb in that someone like yourself who spots a mistake in something such as this can post a thread and inform others so quickly.

I'm sure I speak for most if not all of us in saying thank you to you for realising what had happened and taking the trouble to post the warning.

Best Regards. 

At Railex last week, I bought a bottle of flux, and having taken it on holiday, I have found it impossible to solder with (much to my frustration....)

I have a poor sense of smell......

Having of course thoroughly cleaned every thing first, I couldn't understand it at all, as it was worse than soldering with no flux at all. Poking my nose over the top of the bottle, I detected the familiar aroma of acetone or MEK (which I had been blithely poking my soldering iron into). My wife confirmed it, and I conducted a further test by dipping a very small piece of tissue into it, putting it safely into a sink, and putting a lighter to it, whereupon it behaved exactly as I thought it would - i.e. burning as a solvent does.

It also strips paint and evaporates in a very familiar way......

Please be aware of this issue - my bottle is labeled up

'Easi'

Universal Liquid Flux

50ml

Packed by Finishing Touches, 4 Manor Court, Blaby, Leicester, 0116 2785134

I am curious as to why you would take a bottle of flux on holiday with you.??

Suitcase, bucket and spade maybe.......but FLUX.??????

I would have thought the OP made everything very clear.

Like many other modellers he clearly decided to undertake a bit of modelling whilst on holiday -and nothing wrong with that!.

No further explanation required I'd say.

Regards

I am curious as to why you would take a bottle of flux on holiday with you.??

Suitcase, bucket and spade maybe.......but FLUX.??????

Well - there are of course various possibilities ....... One is that I thought the bottle of flux deserved a holiday, so I took it on one....

Another, is that I find the very nature of the sand-castle to be transient, and the pleasure of an etched brass 7mm Low-mac to be rather more lasting, and of course I did make one omission in my initial statement - I also took my ever-patient wife, as well as the flux bottle (tools, and Low-mac), and other forms of entertainment were available - such as mending the blasted boat, in which we limped home today on one engine (fan belt gone.... Not that it's got a fan, of course....)

Well - there are of course various possibilities ....... One is that I thought the bottle of flux deserved a holiday, so I took it on one....

Another, is that I find the very nature of the sand-castle to be transient, and the pleasure of an etched brass 7mm Low-mac to be rather more lasting, and of course I did make one omission in my initial statement - I also took my ever-patient wife, as well as the flux bottle (tools, and Low-mac), and other forms of entertainment were available - such as mending the blasted boat, in which we limped home today on one engine (fan belt gone.... Not that it's got a fan, of course....)

No offence meant Giles........I hope the flux feels better for its break.

I note you have an ever patient wife too, as do I................what would we do without them.

Sorry about your fan-belt...........hope it didnt spoil your holiday.

Bob

I would have thought the OP made everything very clear.

Like many other modellers he clearly decided to undertake a bit of modelling whilst on holiday -and nothing wrong with that!.

No further explanation required I'd say.

Regards

Its encouraging to see that by the number of people agreeing with your reply.....that there are others who also take their flux on holiday.!!!! :imsohappy:

• RMweb Gold

I am reminded of the Englishman being shown round a Japanese electronics factory. He watched amazed as deft fingers danced the iron across the pcb, the components just seeming to be touched to be secure. Intrigued by the pace, he asked "What do you use for flux? " "Flench letters!"

Archived