What has happened to platform 4 Scarborough?

Market65

• RMweb Gold

Hello to everybody, I'm new here, and have a question which has been puzzling me for some time now. Platform 4 at Scarborough station has been out of use for some four - possibly five months now. Can I ask if anyone has the answer to this puzzle please?

All the best

Market65

Hi,

I've just got to Scarborough tonight at 18.30ish and my train should have used platform 4 but went into platform 2 instead. I've just looked at realtimetrains and that states platform 4 as well. So I had a wander round to that platform and the only thing that appeared odd is a kink in the track as it enters the platform. The kink is directed towards the platform edge so I wonder if it is out of gauge?

Regards

Vin

Hi Sean,

The sharp curves into platforms 3 & 4 aren't as tight as platform 5, which was still in use yesterday. I should have taken a photo of the alignment but had a flat phone battery again!!.

The kink is towards the set of points that route trains between platforms 4 and 5. Also there was no indication of the line been out of action, such as red lights placed on the track.

It's a mystery?

Regards

Vin

Hmmmmn.

Can't comment on that one Vin as I've not visited the station since re-signalling. I believe the track was re-layed at the same point, so I'm not sure how it all looks now.

At Bridlington, in platform 6, 158 units were banned until the track was re-aligned a few years back, so it might be something like that, dependent on where the "kink" has appeared.

Just speculation from me though.

Cheers.

Sean.

Hi all,

I left Scarborough tonight from platform 3 and noticed the railheads for platform 4 have been used recently, by that I mean that day. All the realtimetrains scheduled services into platform 4 are using platform 2 (mine did yesterday).

So who knows what is going on?

Regards

Vin

• RMweb Gold

Well now, I've been into Scarborough on the train today, and would you believe it, platform 4 was back in regular use! There was much flange squeal on the tightly curved section, but the class 158 coped with it very well. The mystery is still just that, a mystery.

Thank you to Vin, the penguin of doom, and roythebus for all your replies to this - perhaps Sherlock Holmes might have been interested in this!

I will add that platform 5 has some track which if  the chairs are looked at dates back to circa 1947.

Again thanks to everyone who has contributed to this little mystery.

All the best

Market65

Dunno, you've really got me.

It happened on a Sunny Afternoon, but as they're working All Day and All of the Night to restore the Powerman by This Time Tomorrow, or Waterloo Sunset at the latest, a Well Respected Man from the Big Black Smoke will have sorted out This Strange Effect and Ev'rybody's Gonna Be Happy.  So in the meantime, Have a Cuppa Tea and I Go To Sleep.

(Which should clear most of the Kinks referred to).

Edited to include an apology to the originator of this thread.

It was 16 degrees in sunny Scarborough yesterday morning but the fog came in by lunch time and it was 10.

Platform 5 is the tightest with class 153s not permitted. It seems strange seeing this as the last platform, when I was a boy it was in the middle and Hull trains would sometimes go from platform 9, the back of beyond.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, I think that I've managed to take a quick photo of that kink in the track (where the TPWS Grid is). The trains are running over it quire normally - indeed this has been here since the throat was relaid a few years ago. If I might add, work is taking place on platforms 1 and 2 at the moment, meaning that platforms 3,4 and 5 are the only ones that can currenly be used.post-22631-0-13042800-1398894810_thumb.jpg

Archived