Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Calling all kit manufactures

I was just reading a email I received from Barry at Cambrian models, and found out they used to make a sealion ballast hopper wagon. This I didn't know about. The mold has since been altered to make the walrus hopper wagon, which is understandable since both Hornby and Bachmann have made ready to run models of the various sealion/seacow wagons. But this raised a question in my mind. With the way the models are made in batches in china, with infrequent re runs, and with the price increase of Hornby models, and the yet to be announced rise in Bachmann models, is there a gap for the kit makers to make models that duplicate the ready to run models?

As a example, the sealion I am after, at the York show there was only 2 Hornby models of the later welded seacow model at all the dealers, and checking the Internet I only found 1 shop with any of the Bachmann sealion, and he was charging nearly 30 quid for them. Now at the prices cambrian models charge, that means I could have the kits at a ratio of 2 for 1. This doesn't include the fact that the model you want may not even be available anymore.

There are other examples I could think of, like the dogfish or the grampus, which the kit is available now and cheaper than the RTR version, and/or make different versions of the same wagon that overcome some inaccuracies of the RTR example.

I know that I may not be a normal sample of customer in the fact that I like making kits as to just buying a RTR wagon, but I do think there could be a gap in the market for the kit makers to produce models of things like wagons that could be available continuously, correct some errors in the RTR model, and cheaper than the RTR version. And then there is the wagons that haven't even been made RTR yet.

This is not a wish list, but there are some wagons I would like to be made as kits, that I would buy instead of kits.

These include the HAA wagon, which the Hornby model is too expensive and not quite right.

The bogie bolster E wagon, as the Lima model is long since unavalible and had too many bolsters.

The bogie PTA tipplers, as the old Lima model was of the small batch of original wagons and no use for things like the 59 hauled stone trains.

Or the RMC stone trains from the peak quarries, of which Bachmann have made one example of the hopper wagons, that run in mixed rakes of different versions.

Or there is the O&K hopper and box wagons from the mendips.

So, does anybody have any good examples of kits that you would buy that would be duplication of RTR that are either unavalible or the kits would be cheaper?

Hattons have the Bachmann Sealion in stock, ref 38-130A at £23 ea, £86 for 4 or £135 for 8.

I don't think a kit manufacturuer intentionally releasing a kit to rival existing RTR is going to create \ see much demand as most modellers seem unwilling \ unable to make kits. Finescale modellers may still head down the kit route but any such kit will have to assume lower sales so be priced at a higher level so driving down sales even further. Not worth the risk I imagine.

• RMweb Premium

I could see kit manufacturers keeping a kit going if the mould is time served and has paid for itself. But getting a mould made for injection moulding is EXPENSIVE. We are talking several thousand pounds, even for a small kit. I believe the kind of moulds Hornby use for engine bodies run to over £20,000. Thus you need to sell a lot to make back the setup costs before you start making a profit.

So I can't see a kit supplier making a new mould for a low run kit, not without it ending up costing more than a RTR model. Resin moulding is cheaper to set up, but the resin is expensive. Brass is also expensive for making etchings, and the photo etch process is quite tricky.

And also, whilst I do like making kits, I am now far more likely to buy RTR. Why? I am the proud owner (keeper? Wrangler?) of a toddler, and I just don't have the time for kits now. I think a lot of modlers are in a similar position too. They may have the skills to make a kit, but not the time. A kit will take many many hours, whereas RTR takes two minutes to unpack and couple up.

Another way forward would be to make the kit into a rtr product meaning its made and can be sold at a price

Sometimes kits also have issues with structure and strength which a proper production made model can often get round.

To drive down cost a large number would need to be made in one go

But this raised a question in my mind. With the way the models are made in batches in china, with infrequent re runs, and with the price increase of Hornby models, and the yet to be announced rise in Bachmann models, is there a gap for the kit makers to make models that duplicate the ready to run models?

I'm sure some kit manufacturers would be able to do this. IF you were willing to underwrite all their costs.

Archived