The NS heritage engine on original NS trackage

CraigZ

The Norfolk & Southern Historical Society http://norfolksouthernhs.org/ had their annual meeting today in Fayetteville, North Carolina.  They were able to persuade the modern NS to send down Heritage engine 8114 which is painted in the original NS livery.  It came into Raleigh, NC on Monday this week on train #352; was tucked away in the car shop at Glenwood Yard until Thursday morning when it was moved to Fuquay Varina, NC.  When it went into Glenwood it was, for the first time, on the trackage of the original Norfolk Southern.  Most of the original NS has been shortlined or abandoned but today's NS has kept the line from Raleigh down to Fuquay Varina and the branch from there to Fayetteville.  In any case the 8114 went to Fuquay Varina (FuVar as we call it) and was parked there Thursday afternoon.  They spotted it in a decent spot for photography so I made the drive down to shoot it.  Friday morning it left on the train to Fayetteville and is down there now.  Darned handsome engine.  The original NS (or as we call it, the real NS...) had all of its Baldwins (and 3 GE 70 tonners for the light rail on the Bayboro NC branch) delivered in the red livery; later the cab herald was added as seen on 8114.  I've tacked on a couple of historical photos from my friend Warren Calloway as reference.  Note the Baldwins have A-1-A bogies...the 1500s were DRS6-4-1500s; the 1600s were AS-416s.  I love the visor over the headlight; I've been told it's there to shed the oil that dripped form the air ringer on the bell!  The Southern bought the NS in 1973, merged in 1974.  The day of the merger a train arrived in Raleigh with Southern Geeps and all the Baldwins were instantly retired.  All of the 1500s were already gone as were some of the 1600s.  The NS also owned GP18s and GP38s painted as seen below in grey.  The Southern, iconoclast that it was, took all the GP18s and GP38s and sent them off to Atlanta where they were high nosed and then up to the Southern shops where they were painted in Southern tuxedo livery.  Oh, and in the process the control stands were turned around and the engines made long hood forward as God and Nature intended on the Southern.  But the old NS engines were easy to pick out on the Southern - no dynamic brake blisters and for a number years all kept their small fuel tanks.  It was neat railroad and would be fairly easy to model if you realized that the A-1-A bogies aren't available on any plastic models; Bowser cheated and used the uneven axle spaced C trucks.  Otherwise, gorgeous red Baldwin models.

post-751-0-37352200-1398557422_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-38674000-1398557935_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-62782800-1398558035_thumb.jpg

post-751-0-89936600-1398558400.jpg

• RMweb Gold

It was neat railroad and would be fairly easy to model if you realized that the A-1-A bogies aren't available on any plastic models; Bowser cheated and used the uneven axle spaced C trucks.  Otherwise, gorgeous red Baldwin models.

It had never occurred to me that the Stewart Baldwins were all 4-axle.

Nice shots , and credit to NS for being so accomodating - I did see a nice shot of 8114 doing some street running in NC the other day as well.

Yep, that's where the NS runs in Hillsboro St down to the interchange with CSX and the Aberdeen & Rockfish.

Archived