Using Templot

Hi. I would like to be able to confidently use Templot to plan a new layout. Try as I might, I just can't get to grips with this program. I don't suppose there is anyone in the North East who uses it and understands it that could give a few demos?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I would like to be able to confidently use Templot to plan a new layout. Try as I might, I just can't get to grips with this program. I don't suppose there is anyone in the North East who uses it and understands it that could give a few demos?

Lee

have you tried looking at the tutorials on Templot club. Admittedly many are for the older version but they are very helpful in getting started.

Print out a short cut key guide

Just start with simple turnouts and crossings and add a few pieces of track. Might be worth saving a plan every few additions so if anything goes wrong you can go back to an earlier version, I have 5 plus differing copies of some plans.

Slips and 3 ways do get a bit of getting used to. The other thing is do read some threads in Templot club, plenty of tips there

• RMweb Gold

I'm on the Durham coast and have used it to produce a few plans.

Some of them have even worked when made into actual track.

You are more than welcome to pop over if you want.

Haven't had a chance to say it yet, but thank you for all the offers of help, especially Gordon who taught me more in 30 minutes than what I have learnt in 2 Years of fiddling about with the program  :sungum:

Bod I will probably drop you a line at some point.

Like many things it gets easier the more you use it. I tend to forget simple things like F3 to lengthen the approach track, or not found until recently that when increasing the length of sleepers in shove timbers, by holding the capital key in increases the length the other way. Short cut keys are wonderful  

In its basic form its so easy to work

• 2 weeks later...

http://85a.co.uk/getting_started_with_templot_allan_ferguson/

I found that printing this (all 40 odd pages) and working through all of the steps really helped me to get to grips with it, after spending weeks struggling when even when I did manage to produce something vaguely resembling what I wanted to do, I didn't understand how I had done it or how to repeat it! The guide is very good.

Haven't had a chance to say it yet, but thank you for all the offers of help, especially Gordon who taught me more in 30 minutes than what I have learnt in 2 Years of fiddling about with the program  :sungum:

Bod I will probably drop you a line at some point.

Lee

You have had 2 weeks to beaver away, how are you getting on?   :paint:

Its quite easy for us that have come to grips with Templot to say how easy it is to use, which it is. But you have to come to terms with mentally how it works and all the little bits (red circle with a plus sign in it) we take for granted but can be bewildering to the newcomer. :O . I do find that it may help to save the plan to a file quite often both as a newcomer and with larger plan or even make additional files as you build up the plan, just in case you make a mistake or want to go back and follow an alternative plan. I have recently copied an Iain Rice's plan with 5 turnouts and one 3 way I have saved 3 versions

SP1 has made a very good suggestion of reading Allans instructions. Templot club is also a goldmine  of information, the short tutorials are also not only very short but easy to understand (all be it using earlier versions) and the Function Key chart is a must to have printed off. Help is always hand, both here and especially on Templot Club where you can use share and show to discuss and or seek advice/help with your plan

Lee

You have had 2 weeks to beaver away, how are you getting on?   :paint:

Its quite easy for us that have come to grips with Templot to say how easy it is to use, which it is. But you have to come to terms with mentally how it works and all the little bits (red circle with a plus sign in it) we take for granted but can be bewildering to the newcomer. :O . I do find that it may help to save the plan to a file quite often both as a newcomer and with larger plan or even make additional files as you build up the plan, just in case you make a mistake or want to go back and follow an alternative plan. I have recently copied an Iain Rice's plan with 5 turnouts and one 3 way I have saved 3 versions

SP1 has made a very good suggestion of reading Allans instructions. Templot club is also a goldmine  of information, the short tutorials are also not only very short but easy to understand (all be it using earlier versions) and the Function Key chart is a must to have printed off. Help is always hand, both here and especially on Templot Club where you can use share and show to discuss and or seek advice/help with your plan

Hi John. Work is still extremely busy, so any personal projects aren't getting a look in.

Lee (and anyone interested)

Just checked out Templot Club, and this reply (Message 35) has links to 3 very good tutorials http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=2377&forum_id=1&jump_to=16835#p16835

This one is quick and I learnt 2 new short cuts in how I do things

http://www.templot.com/martweb/tut5a.htm

A tip is to have Templot open, watch the video through first, then start watching again, but use the pause button and replicate the action(s) yourself. Best way to learn is copying

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I might be stating the obvious here (and I'm a long, long way from being a Templot master) but trying to think about why it does what it does, and reading a bit on the background of why the prototype does what it does helped me a great deal in getting my head around it. It's not particularly intuitive or consistent with lots of other software but it looks like there are good reasons for that and getting to the bottom of those reasons helps immensely (as well as making me realise "Ah, yes, it's better that it does it this way after all").

Archived