Too many Buffalo's.......not enough!

I'm in the process of building an Alan Gibson kit GWR Pannier Buffalo, and during the build noticed that when the early etched cab was offered up to the pannier rear there was a difference of about 1.5 mm over length which narrowed the access to the footplate. Rightly/wrongly I've "shaved" it off the white metal casting in order to get this to fit correctly, so, has anyone else encountered this problem when building the said locomotive?

post-20303-0-13514900-1398782786_thumb.jpg

I'm happy to live with it but with a saddle tank version on the way too I'm wondering how much fettling is needed with other models these days.

Oh! And if any one is wondering, it is sitting high because the brake rod attaching wire hasn't been cut to length yet!

post-20303-0-13514900-1398782786_thumb.jpg

There are some minor dimensional errors in these kits though, given their age and the fact that the etches were produced from hand-drawn masters, they are very good. The bunker is very close, if anything it is slightly undersized, and the same goes for the cabs. I wonder how you decided on the position for the cab? The door gap should be 6mm, but the cutout in the running plate at the top of the steps is a little too wide. Looking at your photo, I suspect the boiler/tank assembly is too far back. The front of the smokebox should be about.4.5mm behind the bufferbeam. That is roughly between the second and third rivets along the edge of the running plate.

As to "how much fettling is needed with other models these days", remember how old this kit is. It requires much less fettling than an old K's kit, but doesn't bear comparison with, say, a Martin Finney kit.

If you're interested, you can find a long sequence of posts on the saddle version and a shorter one on rescuing a poorly assembled pannier on my blog. Cab and bunker issues on this page.

Nick

Hi Nick,

Thank you for the info it's much appreciated. Age of kit etc. agreed, my cab dimension was taken by the etched floor supplied, but since altering it sits ( believe it or not) 6mm wide. It was the cut out for the step which put me out originally but having read your reply it makes sense now.

Ironically I lived in Banbury some many years ago and broke myself in with a K's Aberdare which being my first whitemetal kit actually worked and became a visitor to their factory on an industrial estate to see what else was offer.

I haven't tried a Finney kit (yet!) but given time.............

I have read you blog with great interest and must congratulate you on rather lovely looking models.

Grahame

Hi Grahame,

You've reminded me about the cab floor, it is too big for the early cab and bunker. It caused me problems and eventually I made my own wooden floor. I think there's something about that on page 4 or thereabouts of my original saddle tank build.

Nick

Think you've hit the nail on the head!

I modified the floor too, I'd considered using wood but with non to hand which meant another trip especially to by some I used the etch which hopefully will look ok when it's painted ( althought given etching parameters I think the grain effect looks slightly cavernous !).

Appreciate your input thank you.

Grahame

Archived