Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Woodsville NH

Found this article doing a google search and found your layout very interesting. I live in Woodsville and know the buildings and area well. I like your model of the station and some of the other features of the layout. Being somewhat of a hub, trains went east, west , north, south, at it's hayday 135 trains passed through town. Sadly only bits of track remain and remember well trains running through all though more like one or two a week. Thanks for the postings. I am doing some research to try and build a N scale layout representing the area and some of it's features. 

Hello and welcome.  Sorry it's taken a few days to reply but it's very nice to know from a native of the town that the model is recognisable as the real place!  We've taken a few liberties with the design such as introducing the dairy, oil depot and agricultural dealers but they do add to the operating potential.  It would have been really good to have had the bridge as well but due to storage limitations, the extra depth this would have added to the baseboard made it impossible.

Regarding your proposed model, can you get the right era B&M models in N?  Or are you going for the 'modern' dates?  If you need any info I can possibly help as I did some extensive internet trawling to find the pictures etc, we used.

• 2 months later...

Hello and welcome.  Sorry it's taken a few days to reply but it's very nice to know from a native of the town that the model is recognisable as the real place!  We've taken a few liberties with the design such as introducing the dairy, oil depot and agricultural dealers but they do add to the operating potential.  It would have been really good to have had the bridge as well but due to storage limitations, the extra depth this would have added to the baseboard made it impossible.

Regarding your proposed model, can you get the right era B&M models in N?  Or are you going for the 'modern' dates?  If you need any info I can possibly help as I did some extensive internet trawling to find the pictures etc, we used.

Thanks for the welcome and sorry it took so long to reply. B&M  engines are available and there is an active club in the area in HO. But they have a couple of shows a year and a good source for local trains. Tried to load a video we took Sunday along Central St which had the main line on the right. It was too big a file to attach. 

Thanks for the welcome and sorry it took so long to reply. B&M  engines are available and there is an active club in the area in HO. But they have a couple of shows a year and a good source for local trains. Tried to load a video we took Sunday along Central St which had the main line on the right. It was too big a file to attach. 

No problem Jim, it can take me a while to do things occasionally!

And don't forget, all the UK readers, 'Woodsville' is on show at the TVNAM exhibition this coming Saturday!  Come and say hello.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Posted today on the B&M group on Facebook.  Posting it here for those not on that group...

attachicon.gifWoodsville, NH.jpg

Thanks Mike. Looks familiar - but the cars on the model are just a little bit older than the ones on the photo :)

Woodsville will be at Normanton Show at the end of January, come along and see it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105664-pontefract-model-railway-exhibition-30-31-january-2016/

Yes, I know the link shows it as 'Pontefract' show but it's the same thing!

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

Thanks Mike. Looks familiar - but the cars on the model are just a little bit older than the ones on the photo :)

Woodsville will be at Normanton Show at the end of January, come along and see it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105664-pontefract-model-railway-exhibition-30-31-january-2016/

Yes, I know the link shows it as 'Pontefract' show but it's the same thing!

Would love to come and see it, but I can drive to Woodsville in less time than it would take me to fly to the UK...  ;)

Would love to come and see it, but I can drive to Woodsville in less time than it would take me to fly to the UK...   ;)

I appreciate that.  The comment was made to every RMWeb member - some of whom come and see the layout at shows but don't always introduce themselves.

Perhaps they don't like what they see when they realise it's me operating................................

I appreciate that.  The comment was made to every RMWeb member - some of whom come and see the layout at shows but don't always introduce themselves.

Perhaps they don't like what they see when they realise it's me operating................................

Probably because they are looking out for that tie

Probably because they are looking out for that tie

Perhaps I should wear everything in the avatar at Normanton Show.

Blanket might be a problem while standing up.  If I wear those glasses I might be able to see the numbers on the controller!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's another one for you, courtesy of the B&M facebook group...

Photo by David K Johnson.  Woodsville, NH, sometime the early 1950's.  The Aloutte is in the distance. B+M 44 tonner 112 is working the head end of #5 after the B+M E-7 had cut off. The train will head out to Montreal with CP E-8 pulling it.

post-7591-0-30365600-1459125333_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Thank you Mike, that's a great shot and relevant to the era we are trying to portray.  Interesting to see that the CP loco is standing on 'track 3'.  We weren't really sure how the changeover actually worked in practice but this might indicate it. Also noting that the first head end vehicle is a coach not a baggage car, something else we may have to look at!

• 6 months later...

I note that Woodsville makes an appearance in the latest Continental Modeller. ;)

Good, done to promote Hull show as much as anything.  I knew it was scheduled but I've not seen it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I note that Woodsville makes an appearance in the latest Continental Modeller. ;)

Received my copy this morning in the post. I must say that Derek Shore's excellent photos show the layout well.

We'll leave it up to you to decide if it's as good 'in the flesh'!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...