Hornby class 31 sandboxes on bogies

aureol40012

My model of 31296 was bought second hand without a box, paperwork, etc. it is in mint condition apart from the fact that on one side of the locomotive all the sandboxes and sand pipes are missing.

It looks like the sandboxes and sand pipes are a single item; is this correct?

Also the pictures I've seen of the class 31 detailing packs don't seem to include the sandboxes and sand pipes. Did these items come factory fitted to the locomotive when new do people know and if so where can I get hold of replacement items?

Jake

They are shown on the diagram integral with the whole bogie sideframe, so very doubtful you will find them as a separate spare. The sandpipes are definitely plug in pieces, as once in a while one comes loose and starts to trail on the chairs or sleepers. What with these mechs being very quiet this is often noticed by the readily audible 'tick-tick-tick' as the loco goes past. (Act quickly to superglue the wayward piece back in as once it has fallen off it is usually gone for ever.) No idea whether the sandboxes are also glued on parts - you are in the best position to determine this: inspect the frames, does it look like a glued on component has been taken off?

• 1 year later...

Archived