OO Works next model - LBSCR Marsh Class ?I3? 4-4-2T

PrestburyJack

One thing I did not mention. The cab is painted too, with light umber in appropriate places. There are numerous fitted cab details, although somewhat rudimentary compared with an E4. (But better than an E2 or Terrier).

OOWORKS have posted new pictures of their I3 in Southern olive green livery on their website, and very fine it looks too !

http://www.ooworks.co.uk/

Not sure how many were made, but Olive Green now sold out! I got one of the last, very good it looks too, lettering and lining is OO Works' best yet - apparently it is "Tampo printed" as opposed to Waterslide transfers on the OG version (but I think Waterslide are still used on the SR Black "Sunshine" version).

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't mind an H class, which I understand they did a few years ago. Has anyone got one going spare?

The H Class was one of OO Works best models and good examples fetch prices well above new.

There is a strong demand for an H Class, if any current producer is looking for a "pretty tank".

Having seen the finish on the Southern olive green version, I can't wait to see the Marsh Umber.  Apparently due in September, so put down for one before it's too late!

From their website, OOWORKS have now sold out of the LBSCR livery version and only have models left in Southern sunshine black and BR lined black.

Glad I already have my preorder for the LBSCR version.

I wouldn't mind an H class, which I understand they did a few years ago. Has anyone got one going spare?

I did send an e-mail to OOWORKS in June asking if they would be doing a re-run of the Wainwright 'H' class as I too would like one. Their reply was that unfortunately they would not be doing a re-run, and it was onward with the next project.

Exciting to see what their next project will be though...

Crikey O'Reilly, I ordered one of the Umber ones the day before yesterday - order confirmed - I had not realised that I had only just got in under the wire - phew!

It is my first time dealing with OO Works, but signs are encouraging as I received a prompt and helpful response, for which I was most grateful.   They seem like a very pleasant as well as efficient outfit to deal with, and that always helps.

Anyway, the olive green one is a stunner, and has really whetted my appetite for the umber version.  I must say it is very exciting to be expecting a first loco from them.  I have long wanted an OO Works model, but the I3 in pre-grouping livery is the first of their models that I felt I could make a home for/have an excuse to run. 

I suspect OO Works is generally a Good Thing for our hobby and I am glad that the I3 is apparently doing so well, and, I, too, will look with interest for their future products.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since I do not have a layout [sigh] I took the I3 along to my local model shop for a run.  They have a code 100 set-track oval for testing. Here's how she did:

She ran forward, sweetly, straight from the box, starting at a fairly slow speed, starting with no apparent inertia.

She ran forwards perfectly smoothly and we got her down to an absolute crawl. Backwards she was a little jerky every so often, but soon smoothed out.  Not bad as she had not been run-in.

She had no problem in either direction around what I guess was 3' radius plain track. 

The rear pony truck consistently derailed when running backwards in one direction only across a set-track point.  Backwards at slow speed a Hornby level crossing on a curve derailed the bogie having locked her coupled wheels and brought her to a standstill.

Baring in mind the nature of this item, I would imagine that the OO Works I3 is unlikely to be run over such 'train set' track.  For me I do not mind these minor limitations as the standards that I am expecting to work to are Code 75 SMP or C&L with Peco off-stage.  Points and curves will not be as tight as those experienced today. Obviously, I would be interested in any reports of performance under other conditions.

I did not run her with stock, so I cannot vouch for her pulling power.  Again, as I am planning a straight and level London to Brighton mainline run, I trust that I will find her able to haul the Southern Belle from one end of a future layout to the other!

I hope this, admittedly limited, test is of some interest.

• 1 year later...

Getting on for almost 2 years now and she has proven to be a lovely reliable runner. More satisfactory than the Adams radials from other makes.

I,ve had her regularly working a 6 coach Maunsell rake with ease.

Archived