Anyone remember HYDIG tankers?

stovepipe

• RMweb Gold

I have a strong childhood memory of seeing HYDIG tanker lorries travelling around the West Hertfordshire/South Buckinghamshire area in the 1970s, and I would quite like to model one for my layout. Does anyone remember seeing them, and if so what type of vehicles were used?

Part of the reason I remember I think, is they had a distinct odour on account of what the were carrying - HIghly DIGested sewage sludge!  I used to see them at least once everyday.

They were 2 or 3 axled, with a tank like a small petrol tanker. The livery was green with a horizontal yellow stripe on each side and rear of the tankl with HYDIG in green letters. I can't find any pictures of them, so hoping I can stir some memories!

Wow - this is triggering memories for me, but again, just vague memories I'm afraid.

I remember the slow-moving, lumbering "cesspool" lorry as we used to call it. We had a septic tank.

I remember olive green, wasp stripes, the hoses an de smell! I'm pretty sure ours were Scammells, very short wheel base - possibly a Highwayman.

Tried looking for an image and while I didn't find a scammell I did find this picture of a Thames Trader from a catalogue

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoaler/12190030065/

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the replies.

The ones I'm talking about weren't emptying cesspits, but taking processed sludge for spreading on fields. I think they were probably a later vehicle than the Thames Trader.

I found this 1975 article which has a picture of the rear of one. Not sure if anyone can tell from this angle, but is it possibly a Bedford TK?

post-2488-0-17431600-1400179350_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

post-26507-0-49431900-1476207920_thumb.jpgpost-26507-0-49431900-1476207920_thumb.jpgI have a strong childhood memory of seeing HYDIG tanker lorries travelling around the West Hertfordshire/South Buckinghamshire area in the 1970s, and I would quite like to model one for my layout. Does anyone remember seeing them, and if so what type of vehicles were used?

Part of the reason I remember I think, is they had a distinct odour on account of what the were carrying - HIghly DIGested sewage sludge!  I used to see them at least once everyday.

They were 2 or 3 axled, with a tank like a small petrol tanker. The livery was green with a horizontal yellow stripe on each side and rear of the tankl with HYDIG in green letters. I can't find any pictures of them, so hoping I can stir some memories!

Hi there sorry its been a while for this reply Regarding Hydig tankers . My Dad drove these tankers in the 1970s the lorries were Guy Bigj 6 wheelers and he use to supply local farmers fields around the Sarratt area I have just finished building a scale model of on in 1:24 scale I will see if I can post a picture of it on hear

Hi there sorry its been a while for this reply Regarding Hydig tankers . My Dad drove these tankers in the 1970s the lorries were Guy Bigj 6 wheelers and he use to supply local farmers fields around the Sarratt area I have just finished building a scale model of on in 1:24 scale I will see if I can post a picture of it on hear

​ Hi again regarding HYDIG they also ran Bedford KMs 4 wheel drive tankers and Guy Bigj artic tankers as well back in the Seventies .

• RMweb Gold

Excellent, that's brilliant info and your model is exactly how I remember the livery. I grew up about 8 miles from Sarratt and they were a regular sight around Rickmansworth in the 1970s. I shall see if I can find a Guy Big 6 or Bedford KM tanker in 4mm scale to play around with.

Excellent, that's brilliant info and your model is exactly how I remember the livery. I grew up about 8 miles from Sarratt and they were a regular sight around Rickmansworth in the 1970s. I shall see if I can find a Guy Big 6 or Bedford KM tanker in 4mm scale to play around with.

Check out Road Transport Images, excellent range of resin kits, you'll find what your looking for there.

Regards Peter. 

Quite a few Water Companies sell the processed sludge as manure;  farmers apply it as a surface dressing. It has the disadvantage of having lots of tomato pips in it, which germinate more successfully after digestion by humans.

In the manner of those rather meaningless platitudes  mission statements often seen on lorries, I quite like the idea of 'It may be s**t to you, but it's our bread and butter' painted on the side of tankers delivering the stuff.

When I was a kid at school, one of my classmates dad drove these. In class one afternoon we were learning about industry and teacher went round the class asking what our dads did for a living. When it came to my classmate, he didn't hold back, "my dad's a s**t tanker driver miss"

Archived