Military Traffic and Dolomite/Magnesite traffic

Hi chaps

I am looking to model two train's set in the mid fifties (early to late emblem)

The first is a short military train which will carry two Matador AEC's with 5 inch guns, two SWB and one LWD Landrover.

The train will consist of two warflats, two lowmacs, three shock absorbing vans, a lowfit and a 21t plate wagon plus a brake van.

I know the warflats would have been MOD/WD however, would the other rolling be military or could I use revenue earning stock?

The second train is a magnesite/dolomite train which will have three container L's on the front plus six other wagons and brake van.

I know that the new Bachmann Covhops would be ideal for this rake however, due to cost, I wish to refrain from those at the time being.

Would a rake of 21t hoppers be suitable? I have seen a picture of a Q6 backing onto a rake of covered hopper in which the caption stated that they were on this duty.

The WD/MoD didn't have that much stock of its own; apart from Warflats and Warwells, there were a few BR-designed Vanfits and Hyfits, and some Palvans that looked like a longer version of the original BR type. In the train you're proposing, only the Warflats would be WD/MoD property; the rest would all be BR stock.

Hi chaps

I am looking to model two train's set in the mid fifties (early to late emblem)

The second train is a magnesite/dolomite train which will have three container L's on the front plus six other wagons and brake van.

I know that the new Bachmann Covhops would be ideal for this rake however, due to cost, I wish to refrain from those at the time being.

Would a rake of 21t hoppers be suitable? I have seen a picture of a Q6 backing onto a rake of covered hopper in which the caption stated that they were on this duty.

I grew up not too far away from the Steetley Dolomite Works at Taffs Well, which was alongside the Barry Railway Walnut Tree viaduct.

In my time the works was served by a trip across the viaduct from Radyr, via Taffs Well, 'the big hill' at Penrhos and reversal at Aber Jct.

Conflat 'L' wagons appear to be the most common to have visited the works, but another container wagon type was also developed, and features in one of Dave Larkin's books - but which sub-species of Conflat escapes me at the moment (no access to books in work).

I cannot recall, and have no knowlegde of open hoppers being used.

The trains to this works were previously discussed at:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73253-dolomite-workings-walnut-tree-west-to-aber-junction/

Brian R

I grew up not too far away from the Steetley Dolomite Works at Taffs Well, which was alongside the Barry Railway Walnut Tree viaduct.

In my time the works was served by a trip across the viaduct from Radyr, via Taffs Well, 'the big hill' at Penrhos and reversal at Aber Jct.

Conflat 'L' wagons appear to be the most common to have visited the works, but another container wagon type was also developed, and features in one of Dave Larkin's books - but which sub-species of Conflat escapes me at the moment (no access to books in work).

I cannot recall, and have no knowlegde of open hoppers being used.

The trains to this works were previously discussed at:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73253-dolomite-workings-walnut-tree-west-to-aber-junction/

Brian R

It was the LD, I think, Brian, conveyed on longer-wheelbase (12') unfitted wagons (Diagram 1/063) - I believe the containers were designed to carry one 'charge' for a furnace. Some of the dolomite from the quarries around Ferryhill was 'burnt', and sent either to Steetley's plant at Hartlepool to make refractory products, or to steelworks as a flux. Other material was either shipped in hoppers, again for Hartlepool, or sent to Scotland in open wagons, for treating grasslands to avert magnesium deficiency. 

There were three or more quarries around Ferryhill, all forwarding product by rail until the 1990s.

It was the LD, I think, Brian, conveyed on longer-wheelbase (12') unfitted wagons (Diagram 1/063) - I believe the containers were designed to carry one 'charge' for a furnace.

That'll be it Brian.

Much obliged

ISTR like a variety of wagons some may have been incorrectly branded for returning to "Taff Wells" instead of the correct "Taffs Well"

Brian R

Cheers chaps.

Here's part of the picture in question 

Coxhoe Dolomite train

Behind are the typical COVHOPS but at the front there's some sheeted wagons that I'm pretty sure are hoppers. I would have assumed them to be BR/LNER 21T but the front one appear to have roes tied around a bar rather than hand rails.

Looks like a 13T hopper to me.

You're on the ball Mike.

Loads of possibilities for the 13ton hoppers. Coxhoe WH sent them sheeted to Consett via Lanchester. Unusual to see the tarp appear to be high though. 13 tons of dolomite in one of those usually had tarp dipping well inside the wagon. I have some wagon labels of them carrying agricultural lime out from Coxhoe but wooden sheeted 5 plankers or 13 ton steel opens were more the norm on this traffic.

Another possibility: Once quarrying had stopped at Coxhoe Lime was brought by rail from Thrislingtion to Coxhoe for burning in the rotary Kiln but a neighbour that worked at both sites said this traffic mainly went by road.

Porcy

• 2 weeks later...

Archived