Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Seaham Harbour photos

Thought these may be of interest - evidence of the railways at Seaham Harbour, which I first visited a few weeks ago. A wonderful place that I look forward to returning to and exploring more... what I would have given to visit back in the day of paddle tugs, vertical boiler locomotives, No 18 and chaldron wagons aplenty

DSCF1004_zps77742c11.jpg

DSCF1002_zps62314d19.jpg

DSCF1009_zps30c0c482.jpg

DSCF1001_zps4f383d16.jpg

DSCF1006_zpsa9256951.jpg

DSCF1012_zps5018e77c.jpg

DSCF1016_zps3c4c9653.jpg

DSCF1019_zps0b4580bd.jpg

DSCF1018_zps122ec9a4.jpg

DSCF1013_zps1881667a.jpg

DSCF1008_zps30445b99.jpg

In the old Lifeboat House is the 'George Elmy', a Liverpool Class RNLI Lifeboat. In 1962, it left Seaham on a rescue to local fishermen in distress. Tragically, after saving the crew, before it entered the harbour it capsized. The Liverpool Class was not one of the self-righting types of Lifeboat, and all the crew drowned, and all but one of those rescued drowned also. The 'George Elmy' was found washed up, upside down, on a local beach the next day. It was refurbished, put back into service, and eventually retired and became a fishing boat, like many old Lifeboats. It was restored and returned to Seaham last year, re-entering Seaham Harbour under its own power, returning home since leaving that night in 1962. It is now in the Lifeboat House, home to the East Durham Heritage Centre, as a very fitting memorial to the brave men of Seaham Lifeboat. The centre also has displays and photographs relating to the railways in the area

DSCF1020_zpsc88fc8e9.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your photos, also of the Consett long boiler tank loco.

I visited Seaham in the 1980s when it looked similar except not so clean and coal was still being rail hauled.

The big change from previous times was the demolition of the coal staithes though these were still extant at Blyth at the time. See 'Get Carter'!. All gone now. The destruction of the paddle tug Reliant from Seaham by the 'National Maritime Museum' was a major crime against maritime heritage which achieved....nothing.

Dava

Archived