If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hi from Wellingborough

totally loco

We have recently taken over a model shop. I am of course not here to advertise the shop. Just that this forum was recommended a short while ago. My other half models in ngauge. Me, I model in nothing! Am fast having to learn terms etc, so hope I can gain a certain amount of knowledge from you guys. Also hoping to be able to share some too.

Rosemary.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello. Events of late have taken over! In all the mayhem I managed to forget my user name!!

Sorry for not replying mike. Please feel free to come and change the switches.

Re the shop, it is on Market street Wellingborough, we took over from the previous owners in March this year. It has been a very steep learning curve as we have never owned a business before. I blame my other half for the fact we do now! Fancy coming in to the shop for the usual ngauge gubbins then coming home to tell me he had bought a shop!! He loves his modelling and trains, but dare I confess, I don't! Or to be more accurate didn't!

We have got plenty wrong, but according to our customers, have also got plenty right. When we took over the shop there wasn't a great amount of stock to inherit, but it was fine to start with. As it is a family business, none of us are taking anything from the shop at the moment because we want to build it up to a shop people want to come in to. We sell most of the usual stuff, but have also considerably expanded our scenics range, as well as the diecast, figures, plasticard etc. the other half still has to go to his previous job, much to his disgust. Hopefully, as things continue to improve, this won't be for too much longer.

Our reason for wanting to expand, this early on is

1. We need more space for the variety of stock we have.

2. In a previous life I worked with children and I wanted to include a section of craft kits, modelling kits, etc for children.

I have to give all credit for the success of the shop to our customers. They are a great bunch of people. Some of them come back to be insulted more than once! We even have one or two who make their own drinks, as well as for us. It is great we have people who feel comfortable enough to do that. Chatting is always plentiful at our little shop in Wellingborough, unless of course folks just want to browse in peace. With regards to insults, when you give your customers nicknames, you have to live with the fact they return the compliment.

On a personal level, I have had to learn a lot and very quickly about the model rail trade. I couldn't have done this without our customers, who have been very patient and understanding as I didn't even know what a point motor was in the beginning. I have even had a go at making two plastic kits. Quite funny for a first effort. The first one was some village stocks and I managed to lose the leg off a stand. (Well, you can't see it is missing if you only look at it from the front.) The second effort is a Dapol village church kit. That wasn't without its problems either. Might even post a picture if it ever gets finished.

Anyway I bet not many people get this far as realised the post is rather long!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to say, we are in our new shop. It is so much lighter than the old one. The move went well even if a little stressful. Still have lots to do with regards to sorting out the stock. Once this is done we are going to take a look at expanding the range even further.

During the middle of all this the mother in law died the early hours of Friday morning. Nothing ever comes easy does it?

• 2 years later...

Archived