Mk1 RU To RB, RF And RBK

Hi Everyone,

Don't worry, i'm not neglecting my Swindon DMU thread, this is just a quick aside on a parallel project. Forget the search for the Holy Grail, what's more important is the need for a good quality Mk1 RB, and to a lesser extent some RF variants. The Palitoy Mainline/Replica RB was good in it's day, but it needs flushglazing and it's profile doesn't match Bachmann's very well. We've all tried tarting up the Mainline, swapping windows, etc, plus in the past I've put Southern Pride sides on the old shell, but again the profile doesn't match the Bachmann, the etchings are slightly too shallow. Awhile back i created RB W1646 for my 1962 Bristolian set, using a Bachmann shell and Comet sides, which are deeper and a better match. So now it was time for four more, plus three RF/RBK, two of which are for Robert C's Marton Central layout.

The rebuild involves breaking down the Bachmann RU, cutting the ends off the chassis and re-fixing to the roof, adding the prepared sides and affixing new angle mounting brackets inside. The roof layout needs modifying, but happily everything can be re-used, just a few new vents are required, there's one small round vent still to be included. Altering the interior is straightforward, for a RB just remove some table units, for the RF you relocate all but two, for the Diagram 26 RBK i remove more seats, i will fashion a buffet bar from plasticard (I wish the factory people had glued those tables in straighter!). Next job will be to move and correct the solebar steps. In the pics, RB at the front, RF/RBK in middle, original RU behind, RBK interior has only four tables.

Cheers, Brian.   (P.S. Where's Lazza gone?)

post-298-0-67491200-1400588970_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-12465300-1400589001_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-00612300-1400589061_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-93539700-1400589230_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-42932400-1400589398_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-41358000-1400589431_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-66712800-1400589464_thumb.jpg

post-298-0-39881900-1400589501_thumb.jpg

Hi Colin,

Nothing too outrageous, i just find batch building quicker and easier, plus it's a good way of sorting all the necessary bits out. Well you wouldn't build and paint the cars of a 4SUB one at a time? The two RFs at the top of the last pic are for someone else, so whilst doing them, i add on some of my own stock to get them finished. As you will know, one has to push one's self sometimes, to get things done. All three RF/RBK will be blue-grey, as will one RB, two RB in maroon and one RB in chocolate and cream. Not seen here, but I've also just done a FO to run with the choc RB, plus two late kitchen cars. Did i mention the two dozen SP TPO vans?   :-))

Cheers, Brian.

Archived