BEC motor unit help

Alan Kirkman seems to have made some helpful substitute chassis for UK DD trams specifically, that use Halling power bogies. Depending on the tram types, other options may include Hollywood foundry chassis, Black beetle and Stanton underfloor bogies.

Partly because I'm very picky, and have machine tools, and partly because I have a lot of trams, I'm gradually moving forward on making my own designs.

Andy

Hi

I want to motorise my fleet of trams. I have read an article about using bec motors. Can anyone tell me wgat they run like and how easy they are to install?

Also which motor should I put under a corgi tram?

Thanks

Scott

I've just taken up tramway modelling and so far have motored 2 Corgi OOC Felthams, using the BEC dedicated trucks, and I thought they were very easy to convert, but then I've also motored the EFE 1938 Tube stock, so my opinion may not be the best guide. The instructions provided by BEC are very clear and comprehensive, but delivery can take a couple of weeks. There are two different versions of the trucks for the Corgi Feltham, one for the production Feltham, and one for the Metropolitan/Sunderland centre entrance "Cissie". 

I've also built a Tower Trams E/1 and motored it using Bec trucks, and again thought it was easy, building the kit was .

So I'd recommend them, but I'm a tramway novice, and others may be able to recommend better alternatives.

Just one point on the Corgi Trams. Only the Original Omnibus ones are 4mm (1/76). The Tramway Classics and Classic Commercials ranges are 1/64 which I believe is S Scale but are often motored to run on OO gauge track. You didn't say which range you wanted to motor.

The BEC trucks seem to be available from BEC only. East Lancs Model Tramway Supplies list other makes of truck in their catalogue. Be careful when using the ELMTS web site as my anti-virus software reports that there are trojans on some of its web pages. It may be false alarms by my A/V, but I wouldn't want to point anyone towards a web site that might have issues and not warn them. 

BEC motor bogies, where to begin?

To a degree they are the de facto choice for UK tram modelling, however not all BEC motor bogies are equal.....

Up until recently there was two different suppliers of BEC units, one being Brian Robinson of BEC kits and one being the late Ian Williams aka the Tram Man, I don't like to particularly rubbish anyone but it's fairly commonly accepted that the quality of the ones from Ian Williams could be 'variable'. I personally received one with a bearing missing from the motor as can guessed this ran like a bag of nails, yes it was replaced but even the replacement one ran rather badly. 

At this point I'd like to state that I understand the 'real' BEC ones from Brian R are supposedly vastly better, however I personally cannot vouch for that as one exhibition with various BEC and Halling equipped models left me feeling that Halling drive units would suit my purpose better, as such I standardised on those.

To a degree, in my mind they are quite a bit more modern in their engineering approach than a white metal casting running axles in plain slots, but again each to their own and plenty will swear by BEC stuff, I'm not a fan of press stud fittings for bogies either.

Self contained Halling drives are available in a variety of wheelbases from 23.5 mm through to 41mm in different forms, all at around the £35-£40 mark, these are suitable for a good number of UK 4 wheel cars.

Halling bogies are also available as spares in amongst others 1.5 and 21mm wheelbases, these being 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel pickup, these used with a Halling std Mabuchi motor can be used for plenty of UK bogie trams, a fraction more work than sticking a pair of BEC units in but again in my opinion will give a quieter smoother drive at a very reasonable price.

There are also a mumber of Halling bogie chassis suitable to use rtr, the Halling C mech being suitable for quite a number of UK prototypes, a bit dearer than a pair of BECs at circa £55 but I've found the Halling stuff to be a bit more refined,perhaps the best analogy I can come up with regarding the relative history of the 2 brands would be to say it's lik comparing Triang with modern Bachmann stuff.

'You pays yer money.........'

Thanks for the info.

which bec motor units you use?

scott

The ones that BEC recommend. It was finding their web site and the availabilty of appropriate trucks that got me into tramways after thinking about it for many years.

For the Corgi Production Feltham BEC recommend their MEFEL, and for the Centre Entrance "Cissie" Feltham their MECIS.

For the Tower Trams E/1 and Production Feltham it is their MEMT, and for the Tower Trams Centre Entrance "Cissie" Feltham their MEEQ.

I've ordered the twin powered trucks, but you can order a single powered truck and a matching unpowered truck.

I'm planning to cut down an E/1 to create an LCC M Class and will use the ME31D10 4 wheet truck..

The Halling ones may well be better, but it is a question of finding out what's available and where to buy them, and I didn't have that information when I bought the BEC trucks.

Well I suppose the first question is what Trams are we talking about? Your fleet could be anything! Are we talking Bogie cars from Kits Corgi Blackpool Balloons or Brush Cars or Felthams or 4 wheel kits or Corgi 4w cars  or have you been getting the Atlas trams. Without more information a worthwhile answer is impossible!

Hi

thanks for the help. I am running the corgi 4 wheen dick kerr type.

Thanks

Scott

You mean like the ones listed here http://www.britishmodelbuses.com/Corgi%20Classics_Dick%20Kerr%20Trams.htm

This web site describes them as being 1/72 scale, but David Voice says in his book "How to Go Tramway & Tramway Modelling" that they are definitely S scale 1/64, and when I put the couple that I have next to the OOC Felthams or 4mm rolling stock, they do look to be well out of scale.

Both of mine are motored with the late Alan Williams's ("The Tram Man") motors. One runs quite well, whilst the other is a non-runner. As both were bought secondhand I just assumed that the non-runner was because the mechanism was worn out. So the comment above about the quality of his mechanisms was useful information for me. 

The Halling Vario will fit in the Corgi 1/64th range my method of fitting these is shown here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/172/entry-4136-fitting-halling-motor-bogies/

Corgi with a Halling..... Think Gordon nicked my ideas and ran with it..... :D 'cos mine was on the net before his......but I only nicked it from elsewhere.....

http://www.gordonstrams.net/MCTpage8.htm

Corgi with a Tenshodo, never been a fan of Tenshodo units myself, find them a touch high geared plus the plastic gears do occasionally split.

http://www.gordonstrams.net/MCTpage1.htm

I bought a 331 bogie with one central motor, and a 4w kit for a Horsefield. Both are hideously crude, as Red Devil says the 4w chassis runs like an old triang product. The single motor bogie kit isn't man enough to shift itself, never mind a diecast body. Utter waste of money. One day I might salvage the wheelsets and machine my own bogies up from brass.

For the S scale corgi things, I did motorise one with a motor bogie from a HO Bachmann diesel, works really well. You could maybe paint them up as Hill of Howth or other 5' 3" trams for 00...

I bought a 331 bogie with one central motor, and a 4w kit for a Horsefield. Both are hideously crude, as Red Devil says the 4w chassis runs like an old triang product. The single motor bogie kit isn't man enough to shift itself, never mind a diecast body. Utter waste of money. One day I might salvage the wheelsets and machine my own bogies up from brass.

For the S scale corgi things, I did motorise one with a motor bogie from a HO Bachmann diesel, works really well. You could maybe paint them up as Hill of Howth or other 5' 3" trams for 00...

Think they might be ABS offerings, not sure obviously, but by the description could be....

If using the Corgi Classics on 16.5mm track you could claim to be modelling Sn31/2, plenty of 3ft 6 in trams.....

Archived