Building a North British/MAN 330hp 0-4-0DH - JOB DONE

No problem - dad has the Marsden book, but early BR shunters aren't really my interest. The industrial versions make nice models though and are good fun to do. My guess is that those steps were taken off with a gas axe, as you say, very crude. The lack of stripes isn't so surprising; if it was anything like the application of yellow panels the job was tackled in a fairly lackadaisical fashion, especially on the Southern!

Adam

I have made some progress on my BR version, photos attached.

The only problem encountered so far has been folding down the valance as there is very litle to put in the hold and fold and despite using a scriber in the fold line and gripping as tight as posible when attempting to fold over it kept slipping out of the hold and fold.

I then resorted to plan B which involved some flat nose pliers and working my up and down a couple of times. Any wrinkles were them removed with a file.

Davidpost-20690-0-14243400-1403083791_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

That's interesting, but a slightly smaller type. I haven't seen any of the larger type with those curious solid wheels though I'd be delighted to be wrong...

Adam

• 2 months later...

This project has been subject to a summer hiatus - book to write, conferences to go to, Cricket to play, you know how it is - but has recently started again. By going backwards. I realised that my little North British was missing some fairly substantial brackets behind the buffer beams. It also occurred to me that the brake standard was also a bit floppy and rectifying this would be a good idea so it was subjected to a bath in cellulose thinners and all the paint came off again...

On these locos, the sandboxes at the cab end also form seats for the driver and since they have quite a small area for gluing and resin does not take solder well I drilled a couple of holes through the cab floor to keep them in place. While I was at it I reshaped and detailed the resin control desk. As supplied I felt that it was both a bit big and not quite the correct shape based on the prototype shots so I cut the thing down, added some scraps of wire and plastic. The various control levers still want some blobs of epoxy on the ends to represent the appropriate knobs. Quite a bit of work for something more or less invisible, isn't it?

NBL2.gif.9d5f79c04c599cf28914cbc793bc1b60.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 4

It's a lamp, small bulb at each end with a dimmer switch just under it on the right hand side and the battery switch below it. Below it on the left is driver's key and starter switch. All missing items where fitted to D2774

• Like 1

post-20690-0-17151000-1410970640_thumb.jpgpost-20690-0-17151000-1410970640_thumb.jpgpost-20690-0-17151000-1410970640_thumb.jpgGood to see the thread renergised.

My own build has stopped as I started this before finishing a load of other stuff (how unusual for a modeller!) but a Brassmasters 3F conversion to P4 needs to be finished (especially as I am part of the Brassmaster team!).

However I have found an interesting version of the prototype (attached) which ran at the colliary in Burnley Lancs untill the early 1970,s. Interesting that it also has the solid wheels.

• Like 2

That's an interesting shot. I like the overhead wire runs, the back end of the lorry, a small 4 wheel tipper, the spare wheels for the same and the wagon. This is, I think, an LNER 7 plank mineral in the RCH style with an extra plank added at some point, probably by the NCB's wagon shops. The LNER axlebox is quite distinctive and would be an unusual retro-fit. Not quite one of these though:

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lnermineral/h1d25c94b#h1d25c94b

The loco is one of the smaller 225hp types again. Sadly these seem to be the only versions to actually have the solid wheels. Perhaps that's just as well - I would otherwise have an overwhelming desire to model them and that would be a fiddle.

Adam

PS: You should be able to go back and edit the duplicates out David. If you go to 'edit' at the bottom right corner of the post you should be able to get the text. In there will be the string of code that links to the attachment. This should appear three times so if you delete two then the picture should only show up once.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A little step forward. Paint!

The purpose of the small cupboard underneath what seems to have been a cab heater is something I am not sure about. Still, since the tiny thing will be visible through the open door I had to give it a go.

NBL3.gif.05689d36eb375673a3716a664942deb6.gif

The console comes alive with a bit of paint. You also now know what the body colour will be...

NBL4.gif.924f03f2c063f7bfeb678313b17cdd29.gif

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 4

The small box on top is a heater, it is fitted with a electric fan with the heat piped in off the loco's cooling system. The larger bottom box is a locker for keeping items like axle box oil and other items, this box is lockable. There is another smaller box (white colour normally)mounted on the back of the cab a couple of ft. above the other two boxes

Also there is a another set of levers on the side of the main drivers desk which you have missed out that operate the loco's straight air brake ( BR NBL's), the levers you have fitted are the power handles. The small handles you have on the top surface of the desk would be for vac brake (again BR NBL's). That drivers desk in real life is a pain to work on as there is now much room left in there and the BR ones also had DSD pedals fitted into the bottom of the desk. Have worked on three real NBL's and space is always a issue

Hope this helps

Robin

• Thanks 1

Thanks Robin!

The desk as you have modelled is the standard industrial version but if anyone wants the do the BR version a lot of extra detailing is required

Well, that's what I'm after, and what I copied: I know the smaller levers you mean but dismissed them as a bit too small as the cab windows really aren't big enough to make it worth going any further. This is 4mm after all and there will be a driver in the way too, of course. The other cupboard is in hand, though it seems not to have been a universal fitting - see the prototype shots of the 225hp version on the previous page (the 225 above does have one, of course...):

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/86099-building-a-north-britishman-330hp-0-4-0dh-now-with-added-prototype-pics/?p=1471501

And the larger 0-6-0 here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/62973-ncb-north-british-shunter/?p=855496

Adam

Edited by Adam

Well it's gone green. I wonder if it's mouldy?

NBL5.gif.36afd5d292eaf73c14c2d36fef971bec.gif

As you can see, there's a reasonable amount of detail painting under way; the off white undercoat is for red (probably) buffer beams. The next job I suppose is to make it run. 

Adam

Edited by Adam
  • Like 5

Looks like the real thing

I do wish my mate would put it back in NCB livery, he always said he would keep it as an NCB loco after I sold him it many years ago, it wasn't a loco I was particularly keen on but came as a 'job lot' from Nottingham sleeper company, Unfortunately, he sold it on and it ended up in the very odd shade of BR green, he brought it back again a couple of years ago so lets hope next repaint it goes back to proper colors.

Nightmares with MAN built engines or North British built MAN engines?

Just curious as I've read that NB found the transition from building simple steam locomotives to building, relatively, complex Diesel engines difficult.

In my case it was the NBL built MAN, although when we looked closely at it, it was in very good order and like new.

Someone did once say it had been rebuilt for the museum at great cost.

As it is the engine has been trouble free but the final drive that gave the trouble with a crack in the casting that has needed attention.

Chris who owns it also has the Brush Bagnall and that has a National in it, he has fully rebuilt that power unit and has had to source parts from across the world, had to have parts adapted from other engines etc. All possible but all at a cost that few are unwilling to spend on just a industrial.

Thanks, but now more questions!!

(Hope you don't mind a bit of thread drift Adam)

Which Brush Bagnall is that, and was the National an original fit?

Quite an unusual engine, the only original fit I was aware of was in the two large Hudswell Clark, 400hp, 0-6-0 DE's built for the Manchester Ship Canal Co., Arundel and Alnwick Castle. There were others perhaps?