1980's scottish coaches

carlw

Hi,

Im looking for photo's of coaches in scotland from the late 80's for a model of Glasgow QS im making, i have spent ages looking over the web for some but this only brings up either DBSO's or distance shots.

Does anyone have any that they would be willing to share?

Many Thanks

Carl

Hi,

Im looking for photo's of coaches in scotland from the late 80's for a model of Glasgow QS im making, i have spent ages looking over the web for some but this only brings up either DBSO's or distance shots.

Does anyone have any that they would be willing to share?

Many Thanks

Carl

There are a few Scotrail ones in both Blue/Grey and Scotrail liveries here : http://dennistaylor.fotopic.net/c1698045_1.html

Andy B)

Hi Carl

Just looked at my photo's I have out here but nothing really of use.

From what I can remember it was mainly a mix of early MK2's in the 52xx-53xx number batch

and Mk1's of all sorts when I used to travel around Inverness etc in the 1980's.

The only MK3's where either on the shoves or the Clansman Euston-INV service etc...

Also remember seeing once the sealink MK1's at Glasgow Central....

Would love to model the area/time as well. Just no space or funds.

cheers

Keith

Hi Carl

Just looked at my photo's I have out here but nothing really of use.

From what I can remember it was mainly a mix of early MK2's in the 52xx-53xx number batch

and Mk1's of all sorts when I used to travel around Inverness etc in the 1980's.

The only MK3's where either on the shoves or the Clansman Euston-INV service etc...

Also remember seeing once the sealink MK1's at Glasgow Central....

Would love to model the area/time as well. Just no space or funds.

cheers

Keith

Keith,

The best thing i did on this was purchased myself a copy of a coach spotters guide from the time in question so i can work out what stock was used on what trains. You are correct it mainly is mk1 and 2's.

The problem i have is the livery details for each of them, it ould really bug me if found out i made a b/g coach and added the wording "scotrail" only to find out it never carried it. lol

Carl

Hi Carl

I can understand what you are saying, but I think unless you can find some photo's

with coach numbers visable etc it could be difficult to sort....

A lot of coaches had branding but by no means all of them, plus some one side

only I would suspect!

I wish you well with the project...

cheers

Keith

The problem i have is the livery details for each of them, it ould really bug me if found out i made a b/g coach and added the wording "scotrail" only to find out it never carried it.

A lot of coaches had branding but by no means all of them, plus some one side only I would suspect!

From chatting to my friend Glenn, who worked at Craigentinny in the 1980s, virtually all the blue and grey stock allocated to Provincial in Scotland had ScotRail by the end of 1985. He did say though that they were only vinyl stickers quite hastily applied and did get ripped off by the carriage washing plants from time to time.

I think the old saying that if you can't prove anything one way or another then probably no one else can holds sway. Seeing as the vast majority of stock was branded you can't go far wrong.

Craigentinny held the stock for the pressure ventilated cross country services (Mk2a and Mk2c stock) and these would have all kept Inter-City. In addition of course they had all the push-pull rakes (which were ScotRail) from May 1985, before this date the Mk2 air con FOs and TSOs were allocated to Aberdeen. Inverness held all the stock for the services from there to the far north lines (vacuum braked Mk2z), Aberdeen (vacuum braked Mk2z) and Glasgow/Edinburgh (air braked Mk2a and Mk2c) and all these would have carried ScotRail. Polmadie held the stock for all the Scottish based air-con cross country services and obviously these were branded Inter-City. It also held the Mk1 stock for the West Highland services which were branded ScotRail.

A quick look at a Platform 5 combined volume from between 1985 to 1989 will give you the depot allocations of the stock, any major livery variations and from 1988 also the sector code (ICCX for cross country, PXXX for Provincial).

The last two items to really make your life easy are two copies of Rail Enthusiast - July 1987 (number 70) for vacuum braked ScotRail rake consists and February 1988 (number 77) for air-braked ScotRail rake consists. They only cover the train marshalling from 1987 to 1988 and changes occurred to a small degree every year but they are a very good starting point.

Typing in "Glasgow Oban" in Fotopic produces this. Just vary the search text between locations for more possibilities.

Have fun, I did when researching Aberdeen!

Edit: Looking at some of the photos from that link there are some coaches in June 1988 without ScotRail branding, this is probably because they had just been reallocated the previous May for the new timetable.

The last two items to really make your life easy are two copies of Rail Enthusiast - July 1987 (number 70) for vacuum braked ScotRail rake consists and February 1988 (number 77) for air-braked ScotRail rake consists. They only cover the train marshalling from 1987 to 1988 and changes occurred to a small degree every year but they are a very good starting point.

Does anyone know of any websites i can buy copies of these mags from please.

Thanks

Carl

Archived