O gauge kit producers?

Hi Jim,

Have you considered downloadable card model kits that can be printed out at 0 Gauge scale? I believe that scaling up from 00 Gauge to 0 Gauge requires that the kits be printed at 175%. You will have to either print out the kits "tiled" if you only have a small printer, or get them printed on larger sheets by a local print house. Remember, if going down this route, that the card used should also be scaled proportionately.

Regards, Frank.

Hi Frank. yes, I have read about scaling them up, haven't tried it. Not sure about how to 'tile' the originals, and read on other threads here that it could be very pricey to print them out at a shop. And being in the US, it's been a pain, working out equivalent card thickness sizes and finding sources of same.

Ian, every kit mfr. I have found so far, offers info on how to re-scale their kits. Once you buy it, you can do what you like with it, for your own personal use.

Alant, I doubt I'll find any of the metcalfe offerings on the US ebay site, but I'll check the UK one.

Thanks all.

Jim F

Jim,

You might also try

http://purplebob.co.uk/product-category/7mm-scale-card-model-building-kits/

who sell in E-bay in the UK

or

evandesignsmodelbuilder.com

and  Alphagraphix,  3 Darris Road,  Selly Park,  Birmingham, West Midlands , B29 7QY  who used to some buildings, but don't have a web page or e-mail, so it would have to be a postal enquiry.

Assuming you were looking for UK buildings

Peter, thanks for the heads up re: Purple Bob's. I had seen info about Alphagraphix, but a little difficult to purchase the required stamps to send them, to get a catalog. :) Anyone know of a shop who might be a stockist of their products?

Yes, I am looking for UK buildings. The Evan Design items are mostly US types.

Jim

I have just purchased one of these laser-cut wood kits for a new Swiss metre-gauge layout.  It has a reasonably small footprint given the narrow space I now have available !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291151704555?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I haven't asked the supplier but no doubt he will produce other buildings in the future.

Jim, with regards to your comment on working out card thickness, I have put together some information (trawled from the internet) regarding card types, thicknesses and weights, and how they seem to be specified on either side of the pond :)

Card Thickness

I would appreciate feedback from anyone on anything that they think could also be usefully added to improve the article. I would also appreciate feedback on anything in the information that I have just got plain wrong - which knowing me,  may be likely :)

Regards, Frank.

HI Frank,

I was not aware of the definition for 'pounds', (until I looked it up on the wiki) maybe you include an explanation for what at first sight appears to be something pretty heavy when compared with gsm.

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi all

Is it ok copyright wise to buy any OO scale card kit and enlarge it for O?

Ian

Ian

From what I have read in other posts, providing you have bought it and it is for your own personal use then its fine. That is unless someone else knows better.

Trouble is that will it enlarge ? as any printing flaws on the original will also be enlarged and may show up where it does not in the original size

Ian, Frank has stated it is Ok to enlarge his structures (Fine Scale Buildings), and the sites for Model Railway Scenery, Smart Models, and Scalescenes all give info on what the ratio is, to enlarge. Just as one can copy plans from a magazine, and enlarge them, if it is solely for your pow personal use, it is fine to do so.What you can't do is sell sell them, nor give them away (the copies).

As for the detail, I think most will enlarge without much difference. The more important issue is being able to print the enlargements. Most home printers won't take paper large enough, and one would have to check out the cost of having a print shop do so.

Jim F

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived