Wadebridge Signal Box

Bernard Lamb

Some armchair research has produced the following.

The Type 4 box was designed in 1894 for general use, and appeared across the SWR from then on (Not just on the NCR). The design was also used on the MSWJ and SDJR lines. Construction could be either brick or stone; there was an instance of one timber-built. Sizes varied slightly depending upon the lever requirement.

I hope a construction expert will define terms like "Coursed Rubble", and "Dresssed Stone"; certainly the RTP model in question does not exactly follow the two boxes at Wadebridge, or the one at Padstow. However, the idea of a generic box, as stated above, is OK by me.

And should Kernow Models follow up with a brick version, or Type 3, or any other of the standard SWR designs of Signal Box or Station Building, I shall suspend rivet counting yet again, and add to my collection. Perhaps like other modellers, I am unable to produce better.

For the curious, the South Western Circle Drawing Service has a wide range of dimensioned drawings of these buildings, amongst other membership benefits. Need one say more!

PB

• RMweb Gold

I think the scrath built box belongs to:

St Merryn (P4)

South London Group Scalefour Society

BR Southern Region in North Cornwall

Some photos here

And a few more here

Yeah it is St. Merryn, set in the summer of 1954. I've got loads of photos of the layout and happen to be a personal friend of one of the operators, Brian Pearce who told me a great deal about the layout. All of the operators are really friendly and are more than happy to discuss anything about the model and how you could improve/develop your own skills.

Regards,

Nick

• RMweb Premium

The platform area etc. is certainly reminiscent of Padstein with a smaller station building, t'other end reminds me of Halwill Junction for some reason. Some very nice modelling there.

I can see Halwill too - the goods yard and the expanse of track. So that makes it Padwillcombe.....

Archived