line to close

• 2 months later...

Have heard a rumour that Network rail are looking to shut the freight only  line from Tondu to Margam ! anyone more definite info?

I think Tondu is on the Maesteg line isn't it? If so, I think that last I heard was that the line was to be upgraded to make it available as a diversionary route for PAD-SWA trains.

I think Tondu is on the Maesteg line isn't it? If so, I think that last I heard was that the line was to be upgraded to make it available as a diversionary route for PAD-SWA trains.

Tondu is on the Maesteg line, and also has a line that goes to Margam (the Ogmore Valley Extension); this has often served for weekend diversions for both freight and passenger services, though it does have the inconvenience that trains have to reverse at Tondu. It would be odd if it were to shut prior to the electrification of the SWML as, whilst passenger services might be replaced by buses, the steel traffic from Margam to Llanwern would have to be diverted via the Central Wales line and the 'North and West'. This would add more than a few miles to the journey..

Tondu is on the Maesteg line, and also has a line that goes to Margam (the Ogmore Valley Extension); this has often served for weekend diversions for both freight and passenger services, though it does have the inconvenience that trains have to reverse at Tondu. It would be odd if it were to shut prior to the electrification of the SWML as, whilst passenger services might be replaced by buses, the steel traffic from Margam to Llanwern would have to be diverted via the Central Wales line and the 'North and West'. This would add more than a few miles to the journey..

Sounds like Tondu to Margam is the line I was thinking of. Therefore, it is unlikely to be closed if what I read is true about it being upgraded for passenger diversions using class 800/801 units.

• 2 months later...

It has to do with the bridge over the main line that leads into margam yard apparently the bridge is to low for the electrification and the cost of either raising it or lowering the track bed is prohibitive so it seems the easiest way is to shut the line !

• 2 months later...

It will be a shame if this closes, it certainly proved its worth on Sunday when it allowed freight to divert around engineering work at Stormy Down. Was quite a sight seeing 66's amongst the semaphores, and a 60 late at night when I nipped out for a second look! With some upgrading it could of allowed passenger trains to be diverted too, saving the dreaded bustitution which was causing chaos at Bridgend

Alastair

Archived