Re-wheeling Triang stock?

fallen

I am just getting back into TT/3mm after a long long absence.

I still however have some Triang stuff that I bought new in hmmm now let me see..........just say a long time ago.

Whilst there are of course no end of excellent quality kits now from various sources, I have this old Triang stuff that I am loth to throw out. In many cases the body mouldings are not bad, they were very good when new by the standards of the time, but the underpinnings and wheels are not so good of course.

So, is it possible to re-wheel these, given they are not pinpoint axles, or to change the underpinnings?

Frank

Frank,

Simples! A straightforward conversion that will have your stock rolling like you wouldn't believe possible:

- Press out the original Tri-Ang axle so that you can get a pair of pliers on the end of it and pull out (may require a bit of force). Discard axles and wheels.

- Drill out the axle holes with a 2mm drill.

- Drill a vertical slot on the inside facing of the axle box so that the new wheelsets drop into place.

- Push a 2mm brass pinpoint bearing into the axle box from the outside.

- When satisfied that the wheelset is centred in the frame, add a dab of superglue to the outside of the bearing (beware - if you over drilled the hole the glue may creep past the sides of the bearing)

- Push the other bearing into place from the other side.

- When the bearing has the right pressure on the axle (too loose and the wheelset will slop from side to side, too tight and it will bind and drag) put a dab of superglue on the other side.

As with all things practice makes perfect. As it happens I have a bunch of re-wheeling conversions waiting on my workbench, shall I take a few pictures of the work progressing and post them here in the next week or two?

And yes I agree, there are some nice items in the old Tri-Ang range that still look good today and re-wheeling is definitely worth the effort.

Cheers,

Peter.

Archived