TCS DP2X UK - CV Settings (Hornby D of G)

Trev1073

Hi,

I have fitted a TCS DP2X UK to my Hornby D of G. The performance is OK but there does seem to be some what I would call "stuttering". The loco has been run in and I would have hoped for a smoother performance, although I am aware of the issues with the new Hornby chassis. Has anyone else fitted this decoder to this loco - have they been able to improve performance by adjusting the CV settings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Trev

Hi,

I have fitted a TCS DP2X UK to my Hornby D of G. The performance is OK but there does seem to be some what I would call "stuttering". The loco has been run in and I would have hoped for a smoother performance, although I am aware of the issues with the new Hornby chassis. Has anyone else fitted this decoder to this loco - have they been able to improve performance by adjusting the CV settings?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Trev

Trev,

I don't have a DoG, but have used the TCS DP2X on several other Hornby and Bachmann locos where an 8-pin DCC ready has existed. All seem to run extremely well, without any fiddling with the CVs. One question, have you removed all the caps? I found on one loco (can't rememebr which one) I forgot to do that, and it ran quite poorly, the light-bulb went on, I removed the caps and it ran just fine...

Hi Trevor

I dont have a DoG as yet, but do have a Hornby Clan and Brit, which I use the TCS DP2X-UK decoder in.

You may not like my slow acceleration and deceleration settings, and also my scale top speed of about 45mph.

But just try them and see what you get in terms of performance.

CV3...................250

CV4.....................75

CV5.....................86

CV6.....................40

Rgds.................................Bob

DCC ready does not mean the suppression caps have been removed.

Generally, if the loco i is made for a country that, by law, the caps must be fitted then they are still fitted in the loco.

Some decoders, usually much more expensive decoders, run OK with caps still fitted but TCS is not one of them.

If in doubt, take em out.

BTW, TCS are one of only 2 decoders that is my preference of choice for non sound. The other being DCCconcepts decoders.

Cheers

Ian

Well I removed the capacitors and some improvement. I also tried the changes suggested by Bob to the CV's but will need to play with these further. Anyone any thoughts on BEMF settings on this decoder? I know that Bachmann decoders need tweaking to improve the motor performance due to the effects of the BEMF.

Are you using 128 speed steps?  If so, leave CVs 3 and 4 at the default and set CV5 at 120 and CV6 at 80 and see if this makes any improvement.

r

John, thanks for this, these settings have made an improvement to the running. I am now investigating some ow issues which seem to be causing some of the issues with this loco.

Archived