North Eastern Region UQ Signal

Having several bits left over from previous signals, I thought it time I put something together for my own layout "Sallyfield Jct" So, and looking for something different I came up with the attached. As always apart from the etched arm etc, all "Home Brewed".

post-702-0-27101800-1401374348_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your kind words. You ask what aspect will the colour light show? Well in this case, the truthfull answer is, "Tinted Araldite". Like I said, I made the signal to use up a few spare bits, and test out a few ideas, I also mentioned I have never made a "Traffic Light" before. Eventualy, I shall find a use for it on the layout. I did consider having one lamp in the "Head" to show "YY" when the arm cleared. There will be no signals in advance, so a "Display" is hypothetical.

Tomorrow I hope to complete it and add a "Disconection Box" etc.Mick.

post-702-0-15908100-1401473007_thumb.jpg

post-702-0-96584700-1401473107_thumb.jpg

Attached all I have on the Cottingham South signal you mention, there was also one at Waterworks Crossing. These were the only two "Hybreds" I recall in Hull. Anyway, with the signal finished, it's time for a bath and the "Wild Woman".

• RMweb Gold

Am I correct that with a hibrid, the colour lights are out when the semaphore is on, and show a relevant aspect, depending upon the signals in advance, when the semaphore is off?

Yes, and more.  The colour light head does indeed only illuminate when the semaphore arm is at 'off' and also the semaphore arm will have the green shade blanked out (as it is on Mick's signal) to avoid the signal showing potentially conflicting indications.

So in fact Mick's signal is the exact equivalent of a 4 aspect colour light signal but in its case the red is via the semaphore arm and all the other indications are via the colour light head.

attachicon.gifCopy of COTTINGHAM SOUTH 1965.jpg

attachicon.gifCottingham South 5 and 7G.JPG

Attached all I have on the Cottingham South signal you mention, there was also one at Waterworks Crossing. These were the only two "Hybreds" I recall in Hull. Anyway, with the signal finished, it's time for a bath and the "Wild Woman".

That's the one - I remember it being changed. What advantage does it confer compared with an ordinary semaphore? It cannot be related to speed control as all trains would be slowing at that point as they approach Paragon. Was it in relation to an upgrade to the Paragon/West Parade signalling?

Ian

It is a fine and interesting model. Set against the natural sky in post 8, it looks very real.

Q: Was this type of signal ever found on the Western Region?

Paul, thanks for your kind words, I think the photo of the finished model, owes more to bright sun light and "Fuji" then me.

Paul, I understand these signals were also used on the Western Region.

Ian, These signals, were at onetime used at the boundry of Semaphore/MAS.

The "Station Master" can answer both questions, and with far more authority then myself.

• RMweb Gold

It is a fine and interesting model. Set against the natural sky in post 8, it looks very real.

Q: Was this type of signal ever found on the Western Region?

There were at one time quite a few on the Western as they were 'required' where a semaphore stop signal read to a colour light signalled area.  And they were also used where a semaphore read to a colour light capable of showing a red aspect - which meant they could be found in 2 aspect form (yellow/green when illuminated) reading to a 2 aspect IB Home Signal - e.g. Challow Up Advanced Starters reading to Circourt IB Homes.

They appeared as part of both the Birmingham Snow Hill and Plymouth multiple aspect resignallings (on two parallel signal s at Keyham for example) but ceased to be used in WR new works from c.1961 onwards as most mas going in then was regarded as stageworks.  Thus, for example, the Reading - Twyford stage in 1961 had semaphore distants reading to colour lights capable of showing a red aspect including in one case newly provided lower arm distants.

I think that all BR Regions would have used some version or another (depending on the type of c/l signals in use) at the fringes of mas areas, and probably each of the big four before that. Certainly the SR and GWR did.

• RMweb Gold

I think that all BR Regions would have used some version or another (depending on the type of c/l signals in use) at the fringes of mas areas, and probably each of the big four before that. Certainly the SR and GWR did.

As I've already said, at one time they were 'required' at semaphore to mas colour light signal transitions - so any part of the network which had such a transition would have used them.  The only way round it was if the final semaphore read to a colour light which couldn't show a red aspect.

I happen to have a copy of the BR(W) Plymouth Signal Box booklet issued at the time of resignalling.  I have never noticed before on the pull out diagram at the back, that K6 and K3 are of this type.  They read forward to K7, which is a three aspect signal, which is in the rear of P3.  Certainly an interesting and unusual design.  The next question is are there any photos of BR(W) and other regional types? Could be the topic for a new thread.

Edit to add scan of part of the diagram.  It's a bit small, but hopefully if one clicks on the image, it may be clearer.

attachicon.gifslide655.jpg

I have seen a pic of the Keyham ones in a book but I can't remember which one (I'll check 'Plymouth Steam' and Larry Crosier's book which are the most likely candidates.  Alas I don't think I've got any among my own pics although rather oddly I have got a pic somewhere of the Circourt IB signals I took not long before they went.

Yes, and more.  The colour light head does indeed only illuminate when the semaphore arm is at 'off' and also the semaphore arm will have the green shade blanked out..

At what other type of signal would one blank out the oval aspect on a spectacle plate?

I'm sure that there were a couple approaching Miles Platting from the Ashton direction (one of the Phillips Park boxes) on the parallel lines past the abbatoir loops, in the early 80's

• 3 weeks later...

Archived