Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bachmann 170 3 car has given up

stannyblade

Have a Bachmann 170 3 car dmu  that I bought on ebay, It has been running fine earlier but now it wont go in either direction. The lights were on but no movement. There was smoke coming from the driving car as it packed up. Running on DC

Will it be the motor that's packed up? is it fixable do you think?

Thanks

Gav

• RMweb Gold

Have a Bachmann 170 3 car dmu  that I bought on ebay, It has been running fine earlier but now it wont go in either direction. The lights were on but no movement. There was smoke coming from the driving car as it packed up. Running on DC

Will it be the motor that's packed up? is it fixable do you think?

Thanks

Gav

Sounds like the motor has burnt out.

Time to see what Bachmann Service say about getting a replacement motor.....

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again Phil,

Does anybody know if any other class motor is the same?

Hi Gavin,

The replacement motor is part number 500-131 which is common to a lot of the Bachmann diesels and multiple units

If you call Bachmann Service and ask if they have any in stock - that would be the easiest way to get a new motor.

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hi, stanneyblade, the class 220 and 221 as far as I know have the same motors - it helps to make production economies. I see that Scottish Moddeller has just posted the number of the motor that you need to ask Bachmann for. I hope that you can get a replacement motor without any problems.

All the best,

Market65.

Obviously not the motor then!

With the motor out, try and turn the drive shafts by hand, if one of them will not turn then that is your problem, as it will prevent the motor from turning.

If so, investigate whether it's a broken gear, or another bit of debris jammed in the gears.

(Note, you won't be able to move the wheels as the worm gear prevents this, you need to do it by turning the drive shaft)

Archived