Refueling distances and times

The Black Hat

Hello all,

After discussing prototypical opperations with my brother, who will run my layout with me and a freind on the exhibition circuit, we have been wondering about the distances covered by different engines in preservation and how often they would need to fuel. As preserved engines travel at 25mph I expect that they would exert themselves less, being able to haul 4 or 5 coaches (which will be the standard length on the layout) more easily than if they were asked to go faster. The line, from Bishop Auckland to Eastgate, does not have many taxing gradients in either direction, and we caluclate the distance to be about 19.7 miles, give or take a yard or two.

So, how often would engines be able to make a round trip of 40 miles for the core route or 20 for the shuttle service. Would engines such as a A4 be expected to run all day, or would they refuel and take on water just as procedure dictates it to be prudent. Do engines such as a standard 4 need refueling twice a day, or after so many miles. How far can some tank engines, like an Austerity/J94, Pannier, or Ivatt 2MT go before they need a drink, and what about larger tank engines such as a Fairburn or 4MT-T.

Basically the question is this - by class, how far can engines go in preservation? How long would it take to refill one with water?

Thanks for the help...

David and Andrew

Im not sure on some of the prototypes you have mentioed but i know at Swanage the M7 will roughly use about 1000 gallons the Standard tanks can use anywhere between 700 gallons or more and the bulleids will sometimes use around 700 gallons sometimes less this is based on a Swanage Norden retern but it depends on the engines condition and how well its being fired/driven sometimes they might use less and i know at our bulleid gala none of the engines took a drink for the whole day. hope this helps you get an idea Tom

• RMweb Gold

As a rule of thumb on the MHR where we use mainly larger tender engines (including an A4) we reckon on a ton of coal and 1000 gallons of water for a round trip of nearly 21 miles. This with 5/6 coach trains of BR Mk1 stock. Bear in mind that for half of this distance the things are working quite hard on gradients of around 1 in 60.

It can be somewhat misleading to compare mainline consumption figures with preserved line figures as on the mainline, for instance, the things would usually working hard enough to get into superheat thereby maximising efficiency of steam use, whereas on a preserved line it's very unlikely that they get into superheat. Also, for instance, on well laid fairly level track such as the ECML or the London - Bristol route the things would run with full regulator but with the reverser pulled up to single figures, meaning that steam was admitted for less than ten percent of the piston stroke. This is the most efficient way to run a steam loco which would obviously result in much more favourable consumption figures compared to a route with steep gradients.

• RMweb Gold

As far as coal is concerned a 'normal size' 0-6-0 tank (say a GWR 57XX) should last all day on a bunker of coal unless it is on very hard work with a lot of steam demand - but then you did say 'preserved railway'. Reasonable estimate with coal is to allow 40lbs per mile or c.3 miles per cwt in normal traffic use (some locos are better, others are worse/much worse) and about half a ton to 1 ton for lighting-up.

As far as 'big' engines are concerned all you need to remember is that East Coast pacifics worked London - Newcastle or Edinburgh without coming off for coal, GW locos worked London - Swansea or Plymouth.... and so on.

Water is a bit more difficult and very 'class sensitive' but you already have some good examples. Any half way wary loco crew will put the pipe in the tank/stop at the column whenever they get a reasonable opportunity such as running round.

I remember reading somewhere a steam loco on the mainline will need replenishing every 100 miles or so, the Top Gear run with Tornado from KX to Edinburgh stopped at Grantham, York, and Tyne Yard (for coal too).

A rough estimation of 1mpg is used for a diesel, although this depends how hard it is working, the route, and the load. Going back ot J.Clarkson again, didn't he visit a privately owned Alco on a short piece of track, the owner brought it in the 70's and hasn't refulled it yet....

All proper engines run on electricity anyway, so don't need to stop for fuel.

A rough estimation of 1mpg is used for a diesel, although this depends how hard it is working, the route, and the load. Going back ot J.Clarkson again, didn't he visit a privately owned Alco on a short piece of track, the owner brought it in the 70's and hasn't refulled it yet....

I know class 47's do a Mile to a Gallon and cromptons (33's) do 2 MPG slightly less with ETH and the 08 lasts for a long time just pottering around

Archived