LNER A5 differences

Hello all,

While looking around for information on the LNER A5s, I keep stumbling across lines of text similar to that on Wikipedia, stating that there were "detail differences" between the two types (hence the /1 and /2  notation). However, apart from some of the common points, I am unable to figure out what these differences are.

The main detail differences of the A5/2 I can find consistent reference to are lowered boiler mountings to fit within the LNER composite loading gauge, being built by an outside contractor (Hawthorn Leslie & Co.), and the side window cabs being designed and placed on the locomotives from new (and on the A5/1s since 1921).

Therefore, I would like to ask what else am I missing? As it seems a bit odd that the only changes would be the boiler fittings and the cab. Any additional information/details would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

RCTS Part 7 of Locomotives of the LNER is a good source for details, including the following for the LNER (Hawthorn Leslie) built engines:

- as stated above, the 13 A5/2s were left hand drive;

- they were brought within the LNER rolling stock gauge by lowering the cab roof, dome and chimney;

- the side tanks, cab and bunker were reduced in width by 2 inches;

- some of these engines were turned out with a different frame profile behind the smokebox after complaints about difficulty in oiling - the others were subsequently altered;

- originally they had Westinghouse brakes  (removed between 1932 and 1934) and front sandboxes below the running plate;

- there were detail differences in wheelbase and length over buffers;

- Gresley anti-vacuum valves were fitted behind the chimney;

- the cab spectacles were one-piece.

Basically, the A5/1 was to the larger GC loading gauge so largely confined there.

The A5/2 was built by the LNER to the smaller LNER load gauge, for the NE area.

The sub-classification therefore indicated the route restrictions

As for the detail differences, Peter Stanger (52F Models) said they were so extensive he needed to do two completly seperite kits to cover both types

Archived