Wiring O gauge tracks (non-DCC)

Cheekypaul

Hello!

I'm about to start building a O gauge layout.

It's not going to be DCC for now, and it'll be run by one or two locomotives at a time because the layout is only 12ft long, keeping it simple and all that. (there will be one or two piece of tracks where I will be able to turn the power off to park a locomotive (ie a sidling or at a platform) when running another locomotive, and when I do get round to convert into DCC, it's just a case of making them live all the time.

The only thing I need to know is what wires am I meant to use to power the tracks as O gauge locomotives use more power and I believe I can't use the same wires I would have used for OO layouts, ie 7.0mm or something like that. My controller is capable of 5a which is suitable for locomotives that can be thirsty for power, ie Heljan locomotives.

So what type of wires/cables am I meant to be looking for?

Thanks!

Paul

There are links on the web that will give you the voltage drop (which may concern us) and temperature rise (which hopefully doesn't) for wires of different lengths and cross sections, under various currents.

For a 12' long layout, you'll be unlikely to stretch your Heljans with a row of brass coaches, so the operating currents will be quite low, but you do need to be careful about short circuits - normally, controllers have some kind of overload protection, and it is this that will determine your maximum current, which is important for overheating.

Your actual operating current will probably not exceed one to two amps, and it is this that affects voltage drop, which you want to be as little as possible - certainly less than 0.5V.

This website is typical

http://www.engineersedge.com/instrumentation/voltage_drop_calculator/wire_voltage_drop_calculator_12928.htm

Hope this helps

Simon

Archived