Middleton Railway

Dava

• RMweb Premium

I visited the Middleton Railway in Leeds on Saturday, it was my first visit for several years.

I remember back in the 1980's when all the locos were outside and you could ride in an open wagon. Those days are long gone and there is a very impressive display hall with restored, static locos. Some of these are in my gallery at

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/3275-middleton-railway/

It was not a steam running day, but the consolation was the Peckett diesel shunter hauling the passenger train. Is there another preserved Peckett diesel (apparently they built frames & running gear for many Ruston & Hornsby locos)?

Middleton is well worth a visit, the Sentinel Y1 was in the shed and should be restored by the Autumn. They still have a few mouldering wrecks parked outside but this line is really much more presentable than it used to be, and with several restoration projects under way.

post-14654-0-72398300-1401915182_thumb.jpg

Dava

Thanks for the kind comments.

The Peckett diesel is the only operational one in the world. They built very few and I believe there is an 0-6-0 version on a plinth outside a powerstation or similar. I really enjoy driving this engine.

For anyone interested this weekend is our diesel gala and some of the more rare traction, including the tiny Hunslet "Courage" aka Sweet Pea running a passenger train, along with trains operating over the Balm Road branch.

Andy

Archived