Irish 3 foot track standards

• RMweb Premium

Most likely if the engines, coaches and wagons stay on the track most of the time the standard is good enough.

Doesn't really help with timbering turnouts or setting up track panels and the like. If I can get the info I will do the job right, that's what Templot is for, the creation of prototypical trackwork.

SS

Like the size of the rolling stock I suspect track standards varied a lot between companies but the Ballycastle Railway had 45lb per yard rail with 6' long sleepers of 7" x 4" and 6" x 4" section at 28" spacing and the West Donegal line was also laid with 45lb rail (in 27' lengths) with Baltic redwood sleepers 6' x 8" x 4" set at 22" centres at rail joints and 30" centres elsewhere.

Hope this is of use.

• RMweb Premium

Like the size of the rolling stock I suspect track standards varied a lot between companies but the Ballycastle Railway had 45lb per yard rail with 6' long sleepers of 7" x 4" and 6" x 4" section at 28" spacing and the West Donegal line was also laid with 45lb rail (in 27' lengths) with Baltic redwood sleepers 6' x 8" x 4" set at 22" centres at rail joints and 30" centres elsewhere.

Hope this is of use.

Thanks very much HSB, a step in the right direction, any idea how turnouts were timbered? I've not got any piccies to see clearly enough how turnouts were timbered.

Thanks again

SS

Sorry, I have no information on point timbering. As you say, it is hard to tell in photos. I would suggest you just do what looks right to you as I doubt anybody is likely to come along and tell you you're wrong!

I don't know for sure whether it applied on some NG lines, (I suspect it does) but the standard (broad) gauge lines often used Vignoles' flat-bottom rail, rather than bullhead rail in chairs.  In addition, the GNR(I) used very modern looking castings for the common crossings.

According to Roger Cromblehome's excellent "The County Donegal Railways Companion"

"The County Donegal's original permanent way was composed of 45lb flat-bottomed rail in 27 ft lengths, spiked directly to sleepers that were 6ft long x 8in x 4in cross section, set at 22in centres at the rail joints and at 30in centres elsewhere.  A relaying programme was pursued after the formation of the Joint Committee and introduced 60lb rail laid on sleepers which were typically 6ft 9 in long x 10in x 5in.  This allowed the heavy Class 3 and 4 engines to work west of Stranorlar over the West Donegal section through to Barnesmore Gap.  In later years, second-hand broad gauge sleepers were widely used, but the long straight descent from Donegal Town to Killymard on the Killybegs line was relaid with sleepers from the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway, which gave extra visual emphasis to the narrowness of the gauge."

• RMweb Premium

According to Roger Cromblehome's excellent "The County Donegal Railways Companion"

"The County Donegal's original permanent way was composed of 45lb flat-bottomed rail in 27 ft lengths, spiked directly to sleepers that were 6ft long x 8in x 4in cross section, set at 22in centres at the rail joints and at 30in centres elsewhere.  A relaying programme was pursued after the formation of the Joint Committee and introduced 60lb rail laid on sleepers which were typically 6ft 9 in long x 10in x 5in.  This allowed the heavy Class 3 and 4 engines to work west of Stranorlar over the West Donegal section through to Barnesmore Gap.  In later years, second-hand broad gauge sleepers were widely used, but the long straight descent from Donegal Town to Killymard on the Killybegs line was relaid with sleepers from the Dublin & Blessington Steam Tramway, which gave extra visual emphasis to the narrowness of the gauge."

Hi Nick

Do you have any info on rail lengths for the 60lb rail.

Cheers SS

Archived