coltness branch

morris50

Does anyone know whats happening to the coltness branch these days( southern end of the wishaw and coltness railway),i walk it often and it is badly overgrown in parts,they put in a new concrete bridge near garriongill jct. and reinstated the junction towards the site of morningside station C.R.,everybody expected the resumption of coal trains but it closed down again,i have a few photos of class 20 ,s on the branch.

would appreciate any news,

tommy jardine  (carluke).

Tommy

As far as I know the concrete workshops closed and the coal traffic seems to have dwindled. Some opencast mines in the area have closed down. As far as I know a road over the railway was replaced and as part of this the railway had to be reinstated. The last train to head down the line was probably around 10 years ago.

Also if you can please can you post the pics you have. I have only ever seen two pics of a train on this line the first is a class 37 with open wagons for the concrete works and the second was of a class 66 when the coal trains started

Regards

Dave

Tommy

As far as I know the concrete workshops closed and the coal traffic seems to have dwindled. Some opencast mines in the area have closed down. As far as I know a road over the railway was replaced and as part of this the railway had to be reinstated. The last train to head down the line was probably around 10 years ago.

Also if you can please can you post the pics you have. I have only ever seen two pics of a train on this line the first is a class 37 with open wagons for the concrete works and the second was of a class 66 when the coal trains started

Regards

Dave

Thanks dave for your reply ,i used to live at garriongill so was able to take photos of class 20,s including a derailment,i used to see the royal train there on occassion,will dig out photos

for you.

regards,

tommy.

The Coltness branch was a popular overnight stabling point for the Royal Train in years past, must have been a nice view to wake up to in the morning!

Jim

seen it a few times jim if i was lucky enough to sneak by the police guard.

tommy.

Tommy

Regards

Dave

Dave ,class 20, feb. 1984.post-13432-0-74237900-1402514948_thumb.jpgpost-13432-0-50297100-1402514999_thumb.jpg

post-13432-0-20656800-1402515019_thumb.jpg

Archived